Instructions: Use the definitions below to discover the correct term and then find the term in the puzzle.
- An incident in which police officers physically restrain a person and restrict his or her freedom.
- The area under the control of an individual during an arrest in an automobile.
- A mode of policing that emphasizes enforcement of the letter of the law.
- A reason based on known facts to think that a law has been broken or that a property is connected to a criminal offense.
- Suspicion of illegal activity based on a person’s race, ethnicity, or national origin rather than on actual illegal activity or evidence of illegal activity.
- A Supreme Court measure that considers constitutionality on whether a reasonable person would feel free to terminate an encounter with law enforcement personnel.
- A suspicion based on facts or circumstances that justifies stopping and sometimes searching an individual thought to be involved in illegal activity.
- The collecting by police officers of potential evidence in a criminal case.
- A mode of policing that is concerned primarily with serving the community and citizens.
- An incident in which police show a sign of authority (such as flashing a badge) and the suspect submits.
- A temporary detention that legally is a seizure of an individual and must be based on reasonable suspicion.
- A term that describes two distinct behaviors on the part of law enforcement officers in dealing with suspects. To conduct a lawful frisk, the stop itself must meet the legal conditions of a seizure. A frisk constitutes a search.
- A mode of policing that emphasizes the maintenance of order and informal intervention on the part of the police officer rather than strict enforcement of the law.