Peruse the following descriptions of federal criminal justice–related agencies, programs, and bureaus and find the matching organization in the list. Hint: Use the web addresses in the list to check the agencies’ websites.
- I am an independent agency that is “the eyes and ears of the nation and, at times, its hidden hand.” I collect intelligence, provide analysis, and conduct covert action at the direction of the president to preempt threats or achieve U.S. policy objectives. I am responsible to the president and accountable to U.S. citizens through the intelligence oversight committees of the U.S. Congress.
- In 1970, the federal government established me in response to the growing public demand for cleaner water, air, and land. I seek to protect human health and the environment by developing and enforcing regulations that implement environmental laws enacted by Congress. I also administer grants to state environmental programs and perform environmental research.
- I enforce federal consumer protection laws that prevent fraud, deception, and unfair business practices, as well as antitrust laws. I also conduct economic research and analysis and contribute to the policy deliberations of Congress, the executive branch, other independent agencies, and state and local governments.
- I am a Commerce Department agency that manages, conserves, and protects living marine resources within the U.S.’s Exclusive Economic Zone (waters 3 to 200 miles offshore). I ensure compliance with fisheries regulations and work to reduce wasteful fishing practices. I also play a supportive and advisory role in the management of living marine resources in coastal areas under state jurisdiction and implement international conservation and management measures as appropriate.
- I am a Department of Homeland Security agency that advises on building codes and flood plain management, helps equip local and state emergency agencies, coordinates the federal response to a disaster, makes disaster assistance available to jurisdictions and individuals, trains emergency managers, supports the nation’s fire service, and administers the national flood and crime insurance programs.
- I am a law enforcement agency that seeks to prevent acts of terrorism by targeting the people, money, and materials that support terrorist and criminal activities. The largest investigative arm of the Department of Homeland Security, I am responsible for identifying and shutting down vulnerabilities in the nation’s border, economic, transportation, and infrastructure security.
- Established in September 2003, I am a partnership between the Department of Homeland Security and public and private sectors that protects the nation’s Internet infrastructure. I am responsible for analyzing and reducing cyber threats and vulnerabilities, disseminating cyber threat warning information, and coordinating incident response activities.