- Be able to summarize the basic narrative
of the book of Revelation.
- How is the term “apocalypse” distinct
from the term “apocalypticism.”
- What are the typical literary
characteristics of apocalypses?
- What is meant by “violent repetitions”?
- In what ways is the book of Revelation
like and unlike other apocalypses?
- How, in your judgment, does
understanding Revelation in terms of other apocalypses help you to interpret
the meaning of the book, including its bizarre symbolism?
- Who wrote the book of Revelation? What
do we know about the author?
- Do you think the same author wrote the
Gospel of John and Revelation? Why or why not?
- To whom was Revelation written? What can
be determined about the book’s social context?
- When was Revelation likely written?
What evidence supports the dating of the book?