- Is the epistle of James a “Christian”
book? Which of its teachings seem to be uniquely Christian?
- Do you think the views of Paul and James
on faith and works can be reconciled? How?
- How do the authors of Jude and 2 Peter
characterize their opposition? What are the major themes of the letters?
- Does it appear that Jesus’ brother wrote
the book of Jude? Why or why not?
- Does it seem that Peter wrote 2 Peter?
Why or why not?
- Who wrote the Johannine epistles? What
do the letters reveal about their author?
- By looking at the letters for clues
about context, what can we learn about the social community behind the
Johannine epistles? How do these letters respond to this context?
- What is Docetism and how was it
perceived as a threat to the Johannine community’s Christology?
- How do the accusations of immorality
made against the secessionists relate to their ideas about Christ?
- What do the conflicts illustrated by
this chapter reveal about the nature of early Christianity? How does an
awareness of intra-Christian conflict relate to the study of the New Testament?