After reading this chapter, you should be able to:
- Discuss social control and the importance of socialization.
- Outline how the U.S. criminal justice system protects individual rights.
- Understand society’s two broad ways of controlling crime.
- Define crime and criminal justice.
- Talk about the importance of discretion.
- Explain the relationship among local, state, and federal levels of criminal justice.
- List and briefly explain the five basic goals of the criminal justice system.
- Describe the role that social institutions other than the criminal justice system play in social control.
- Explain why the criminal justice system is the institution of last resort.