- What are the four types of writings
included in the New Testament? (You should memorize the names of the books of
the New Testament in order and know which division in which each book belongs.)
- Who are the Apostolic Fathers, and how
are they relevant to the study of the New Testament?
- How do the following terms relate to one
another? Jewish Scriptures, Hebrew Bible, and Old Testament.
- How did some of the early Christian
writings get collected into the New Testament? What motivated Christians to
create a canon of Scripture?
- Why were some of the early Christian
books included in this canon, but others not? Who made these decisions? On what
- Give several examples of early Christian
writings that did not come to be included in the New Testament.
- What does it mean to speak about the
diversity of the New Testament? What does recognition of this diversity afford
- What is the difference between a
historical and a confessional approach to the New Testament?
- In what sense is it true to say that we
don’t have the original New Testament?
- How did early Christian scribes alter
the New Testament manuscripts they copied? Do these changes make any difference
in interpreting early Christian belief?