This engaging book is a must-read for anyone embarking on the study of leadership. Enriched by a broad range of real-world case studies (featuring figures such as PewDiePie, Jacinda Ardern, and Harvey Weinstein), Leadership will not only guide you through the main theories, issues, and themes underpinning the subject, but will also help you to develop your understanding of leadership in a variety of contexts.
- Written in a conversational and engaging style, this textbook communicates sometimes complex theories in easy to understand terms, making it
ideal for students with limited first-hand experience of leadership.
- A very clear two-part structure helps students navigate this topic, by starting with the basic leadership frameworks before moving on to explore the issues and themes that surround the subject.
- A broad variety of learning features including case studies (50% of which are new for this third edition), pause for thought boxes, and questions encourage students to apply theory to practice, to think more critically, and to test their own understanding.
- A comprehensive set of online resources are available for both students and instructors to help enhance teaching and learning.
New to this edition
- Added coverage on technological developments (such as virtual treams, AI, Big Data, VR/AR) and the impact on leadership practice.
- Revised case studies include contemporary figures and events such as PewDiePie, Jacinda Arden, the Spice Girls and Boris Johnson.
- The content is now further balanced to reflect both 'good' and 'bad' leadership styles, with new coverage on the negative or 'dark side' of leadership included in chapters 2, 6 and 11.
- A new online test bank resource increases the variety of ways in which lecturers can assess student knowledge.
About the Author(s)
Kevin Roe, Associate Professor in Human Resource Management at Leicester Castle Business School, De Montfort University
Kevin Roe is an Associate Professor in Leicester Castle Business School at De Montfort University, UK. He has a rich and varied background that covers time as a Royal Naval Officer serving with both the Royal Navy and American Navy. He has worked overseas for large multinational organizations as well as in the public sector.
"An engaging and comprehensive text that uses case studies and examples to 'bring alive' key concepts and contemporary themes in leadership." - Dr Ruth Brooks, University of Huddersfield
"This is a comprehensive, well-written and pedagogical textbook, with a balanced approach to leadership." - Mikael Lundgren, Linnaeus University
"This textbook is written in a conversational style which effectively communicates sometimes complex concepts. Students will find this text engaging, whatever their previous experience of leadership in the workplace or the classroom may be.
" - Andrew Richardson, University of Leeds
"In a crowded leadership textbook market, this book stands out with its comprehensive coverage of the key leadership research themes and clear writing style. Most importantly, the innovative and up-to-date case studies and examples practically illustrate the complexities of leadership theory and fully engage the reader." - Dr Martin McCracken, Ulster University
"Leadership is an engaging and comprehensive text that uses case studies and examples to 'bring alive' key concepts and contemporary themes in leadership." - Dr Ruth Brooks, University of Huddersfield
"An excellent introduction to the vast and varied field of leadership, this book covers both foundational theories as well as more contemporary lines of thought; all written in a clear, concise and thought-provoking way." - Professor Mikael Lundgren, Linnaeus University