This brand new textbook equips the next generation of managers with the skills to succeed in a global business environment. Skillsets help students improve both their academic work and their employability, a truly international range of case studies broadens their horizons, and practitioner insights show them how skills are used in the real world.
- Designed to help boost students' academic grades and employability through the provision of integrated Skillsets, which link practical skills with topics in the textbook. These innovative features also
clearly demonstrate the relevance of the theoretical material to the real world.
- A truly international range of case studies broadens students' horizons and encourages them to look beyond the standard set of UK and American examples. Emerging economies are given more attention with detailed analysis of case studies from the Middle East, Latin America and Africa.
- Case studies analyse service and manufacturing industries, not-for-profit organisations as well as public and private companies. Entrepreneurs, managers and leaders are also covered to provide students with management insights from key practitioners from a range of sectors.
- Critical reflection boxes encourage students to develop a critical mindset and consider the academic debates behind the theories.
- A range of online resources to give students more insight into management. Detailed podcast interviews with practitioners expand upon the features in the textbook, and a library of video links offers a variety of contemporary and stimulating material to engage students.
About the Author(s)
Colin Combe, Senior Lecturer, Glasgow Caledonian University
Colin Combe is a senior lecturer in strategic management at Glasgow Caledonian University. He teaches modules in strategy, entrepreneurship and innovation and digital economy to a range of UG and PG courses. His research interests are in social innovation, innovation strategies and the intellectual property of digital technologies. He has published many academic articles on these subjects and presented papers to international conferences.
Previously, he has worked as research consultant for the World Bank culminating in a report into administrative capacities for e-government harmonisation in the EU. Colin represents GCU on the ERDF funded INNOVATE project that focuses on economic growth strategies for the knowledge-based and creative industries in the Atlantic Area. This project has funded the establishment of the Social Innovation Network at GCU that is a platform for collaboration and knowledge-sharing on social innovation between academics, practitioners and policymakers.
The writing of this textbook is overwhelmingly exceptional. I cannot stress enough how accessibly, straightforwardly, and concisely it presents often quite complicated material. It balances exactly right the need to make these subjects both digestible and rich for young students. - Dr Peter Bloom, University of Swansea
The skillsets provide an excellent breakdown of highly relevant and important topics such as presentation and time-management skills which are crucial for preparing university students for future years of study. I would have found this book a great help during my first year of university. - Adam Horton, student at Brunel University
The combination of current and classic material provides students with the basis on which to understand the foundations of management, and also some of the current applications within our complex commercial context. The accessible and clear writing style doesn't condescend but equally does not overcomplicate. - Alistair Norman, Lecturer, University of Leeds
Pitched at the right level for first year students, this will give a firm foundation for any further studies as well as being a source of reference to the students in years to come. - Mike Davies, Teaching Fellow, University of Reading
The book is clear and well written, and all the chapters have a good mix of critical material. I think the international cases are brilliant - much clearer and more understandable than those offered by competitors. - Vivienne Byers, Lecturer, Dublin Institute of Technology
The authors have succeeded in building compelling cases on a solid theoretical foundation. It is not easy to come up with something really new when discussing management science.
- Martijn van Velzen, Assistant Professor, University of Twente, Netherlands
An Online Resource Centre accompanies the textbook, and includes:
Multiple choice questions
Suggested answers for the exercises and discussion points.
For registered adopters:
Test Bank of exercises.
Library of video links, with teaching notes and cross-references to the textbook.
Fully integrated and customisable PowerPoint slides.