Written primarily for 16-19 year old students, this primer aims to extend students' knowledge and inspire them to take their school-level learning further. It explores topics that are familiar from the curriculum and also introduces new ideas, giving students a first taste of the study of biology beyond school-level and demonstrating how concepts frequently encountered at school are relevant to and applied in current research. This is the ideal text to support students who are considering making the transition from studying biology at school to university.
- Oxford Biology Primers are the only resource to introduce prospective and current students of undergraduate-level bioscience to a range of topics from this dynamic experimental science, enticing readers to study further
- Its titles directly support two key transitions in the student journey: from school to undergraduate-level study, and from undergraduate to independent researcher.
- Its modular format offers a high degree of flexibility, with teachers being able to draw on specific volumes that augment the post-16 curriculum, university lecturers being able to draw on specific volumes at different stages of the undergraduate curriculum, and with materials from the series being available for access in both print and digital formats
- Also available as an e-book with functionality, navigation features, and links that offer extra learning support
About the Author(s)
Julian Parkhill, Wellcome Sanger Institute, Sarah J Lindsay, Wellcome Sanger Institute, Phil Jones, Wellcome Sanger Institute, Lia Chappell, Wellcome Sanger Institute, Jonathan Roberts, Wellcome Genome Campus, Nancy Holroyd, Wellcome Sanger Institute, Michal Szpak, Wellcome Sanger Institute, and Francesca Gale, Wellcome Sanger Institute
Professor Julian Parkhill FRS is Head of Infection Genomics at the Wellcome Sanger Institute.
Dr Sarah J Lindsay is Senior Staff Scientist at the Wellcome Sanger Institute.
Dr Phil Jones is Senior Group Leader at the Wellcome Sanger Institute.
Dr Lia Chappell is a Postdoctoral Fellow in single cell genomics at the Wellcome Sanger Institute.
Mr Jonathan Roberts is Genetic Counsellor in the Society and Ethics Research Group, Connecting Science at the Wellcome Genome Campus.
Dr Nancy Holroyd is a Project Manager in parasite genomics at the Wellcome Sanger Institute.
Dr Michal Szpak is a Postdoctoral Fellow at the Wellcome Sanger Institute.
Francesca Gale is Education Development Lead at the Wellcome Sanger Institute.
Digital formats and resources
Genomics is supported by online resources and is available for students and institutions to purchase in a variety of formats.
The e-book offers a mobile experience and convenient access along with functionality tools, navigation features and links that offer extra learning support: www.oxfordtextbooks.co.uk/ebooks
The book's online resources include:
- Online quizzes for each chapter so that students can quickly check their understanding of the key
- Artwork from the book in easy-to-download format, for use in class materials and handouts