Effective scientific communication is a skill highly-prized by potential employers, and is central to success during postgraduate study. Communication Skills for the Biosciences is a straightforward, practical guide to the skills you should master to get the most out of your study and research, to pave the way to a successful career.
- An essential guide to communicating your work effectively using a range of media to different audiences.
- Covers a broad range of communication skills, which are valuable not only during university, but which also increase employability.
- Clear, straightforward text provides succinct guidance to help the reader excel, complemented by annotated examples throughout
- Biological examples throughout demonstrate the clear relevance of the skills addressed to the reader, to increase motivation.
- Coverage uniquely tailored to the more advanced student, includes guidance related to grant applications, and vivas.
- Flexible style allows the reader to dip into specific chapters for reference, or to read in sequence to complement a taught course.
- Online Resource Centre features additional resources for both lecturers and students, to enhance the educational value of the text.
"This volume would be an ideal resource for developing and structuring a new graduate student course in the biological sciences. The information conveyed is up to date, well organized, and imperative for todays scientists, both young and established." - The Quarterly Review of Biology
"Divan has clearly used her experience working with bioscience students to write an organized strategy for communication success. The author's own communication skills as evidenced by this guide, are exemplary. Communication Skills serves up a no-nonsense approach to bioscience research with the aim of conveying that graduate work in the biosciences is important, and it is important that it be done right." - Karen L. Wellner, Arizona State University
"Aysha Divan has got the content of the book just right. The chapters go into the right amount of detail and provide lots of lovely references for further reading, the vast majority of which I have never been told about before. Many of the chapters would also be very useful to undergraduates gaining experience in a lab or writing up final year projects/dissertations. I would wholeheartedly recommend it to anyone doing an undergraduate degree, masters or PhD; I would even say that most Post Docs would learn a thing or two!" - James Sleigh, Student, University of Bath
"Divan's book transforms oral tradition into a tangible 'how to' guide and teaching tool that supervisors would do well to share with their students. Rich in content but sensibly organized, Communication Skills would work well as the basis of a communications course for senior undergraduates or beginning graduate students.
If students - and seasoned researchers - follow her strategies, they will undoubtedly find the process of preparing a research proposal, presentation or thesis more manageable and efficient - if not pain-free!" - Microbiology Today
"This is a very useful book for biosciences graduates and postgraduate students as it looks at communication at an advanced level, for example by explaining how to conduct scientific literary reviews or how to write research papers. This learning can complement a postgraduate biosciences course by boosting the grades of the readers and increasing their employability within academia and the private sector. I consider this book a highly recommended graduate guide." - Maria Duncan, University of Hertfordshire