Grafen & Hails: Modern Statistics for the Life Sciences
Queries to the authors
Answers to queries about the textbook will posted here. Submit a query by filling in our on-line query form. Your query will be answered by the authors and posted on this web page.
To see queries and answers submitted so far, please click on the links below. Queries are listed in chronological order.
- 16.01.03 Rajah Roy, St Peter's, Oxford
Chapter 10, page 186
"...when to use Seq SS instead of Adj SS for performing F-ratio tests in regard to models involving interactions..."
- 21.01.03 Veronique Perrot, Emory University, Atlanta, GA, USA
Chapter 04, page 61
"You are very careful to describe 2 types of SSs, and to give them names much more informative than type I and type III (sequential and ajusted SS respectively)..."
- 25.05.03 Eric Stolen, Dynamac Corp., Kennedy Space Center, USA
Chapter 04, page 73
"In the answer to the first exercise in chapter 4 (The cost of reproduction) you use 24 degrees of freedom..."
- 03.06.03 Robert D. Arbeit, Clinical Research, Paratek Pharmaceuticals, Boston, MA, USA
Chapter 04, page 61
"I am unable to reconcile Fig 4.3 with its legend or with Fig 4.2.."
- 17.06.03 Robert D. Arbeit, Clinical Research, Paratek Pharmaceuticals, Boston, MA, USA
Chapter 15, page 297
"I believe the results shown in Box 15.9 are incorrect as regards the results for the variable SEX..."
- 26.02.04 Eric Stolen, Dynamac Corp., Kennedy Space Center, USA
Chapter 07, page 120
"I'm wondering if the error referred to in the first paragraph on page 120 should be Type II rather than Type I..."
- 31.03.04 Roger Jones
Chapter 06, page 105-6
"Why is ln(BAC2) plotted vertically in Fig 6.5 when it is BAC2 that is analysed in Box 6.6?"
- 22.07.04 Katharina Gallizzi
Chapter 11, page 212
"I think that there is an error in Box 11.1(a). You indicate that the variables YEAR and WEIGHT are categorical. However..."
- 03.09.04 Andrew Stoehr, Department of Biology, University of California-Riverside, USA
Chapter 9, page 161
"In your chapter on model assumptions you discuss homogeneity of variance and normality of error..."
- 07.04.06 JF David, CNRS, France
"In the analysis of the tulips dataset..."
- 08.04.08 Claire Standby
Chapters 1 & 2
"... the difference between the usages of the 'fixed factor' and 'covariate(s)' boxes within the univariate GLM window..."
- 10.04.08: Ross Farrelly, Macquarie University, Australia
Chapter 3, section 2
"In Chapter 6, page 42 of the Minitab supplement to "Modern Statistics for the Life Sciences" the coefficients are as follows...."