Big Ideas is a programme of additional sessions for small groups, focusing on key elements of the Primary maths curriculum for pupils not meeting age-related expectations in Upper Key Stage 2 or Key Stage 3 (aged 10 upwards), and laying the foundation for success at Secondary level as well as in end-of-Primary assessments.
- Numicon is research-based and proven to have a significant and lasting impact on results.
- Numicon Big Ideas includes an initial assessment and 48 step-by-step sessions across 5 key areas: Place Value, Adding and Subtracting, Multiplying and Dividing, Fractions, and Working with Fractions, Decimals and Percentages.
- The sessions are suitable for delivery by non-specialists and focus on strong re-teaching of key topics using an active, practical approach to support reasoning and mathematical conversation.
- The Teaching Guide introduces the Numicon approach, provides a full explanation of how to implement the programme, and offers expert advice on how to make the sessions most effective.
- Photocopy Masters to support the activities are included.
- (The sessions are supported by the separate Numicon Big Ideas Apparatus Pack.)
This page was last updated on 20 January 2019 at 04:30 GMT