Essential Letters and Sounds (ELS)
Essential phonics programme for getting all children to read well, quickly
Welcome to Essential Letters and Sounds. Developed for teachers by teachers from Knowledge Schools Trust, this programme is designed to ensure that all children learn to read well and make speedy progress.
Why use Essential Letters and Sounds?
DfE validated – Validated as an effective systematic synthetic phonics teaching programme by the Department for Education, designed to improve literacy levels.
Affordable – Because ELS follows the Letters and Sounds 2007 progression, it works with the decodable books you may already have. Expand your existing provision with front-of-class whiteboard presentations, classroom posters and activity books.
Easy to use – A daily, same structure approach to teaching phonics that gives children and teachers consistency and security.
High quality teacher training from The Knowledge Schools Trust – All training is online and can be purchased separately from the team at The Knowledge Schools Trust.
- Online teaching subscription: daily front-of-class lessons, plus support for teaching, assessment, timetabling and more.
- Training subscription: delivered by, and purchased separately, via The Knowledge Schools Trust.
- Teachers' kits: grapheme cards covering phases 2-5, picture frieze, and a double-sided poster.
- Children’s resources: Activity Books 1, 2, 3 & 4 (covering phases 2–5).
- Essential Phonic Readers and Essential Blending Books that are fully aligned to the ELS progression
- Decodable readers from across the Oxford University Press portfolio, including Word Sparks and Hero Academy.
- Essential Letters and Sounds eBook Library subscription: 127 fully decodable fiction and non-fiction eBooks matched to the ELS progression and organized by term and week.
Look inside: Sample content from Essential Letters and Sounds
How to buy
Book an appointment for advice on the right package, tailored to your school's needs.
Use this order form to choose the right resources and order online.
Purchase training to help you deliver high-quality teaching and maximise impact.