What Makes Civilization?
The Ancient Near East and the Future of the West
Table of Contents
Preface and Acknowledgements
Introduction: a clash of civilizations?
Part One: The Cauldron of Civilization
1. Camouflaged Borrowings
2. On the Trail of Blue-Haired Gods
3. Neolithic Worlds
4. The (First) Global Village
5. Origin of Cities
6. From the Ganges to the Danube: the Bronze Age
7. Cosmology and Commerce
8. The Labours of Kingship
Part Two: Forgetting the Old Regime
9. Enlightenment from a Dark Source
10. Ruined Regimes: Egypt at the Revolution
Conclusion: What Makes Civilization?