Table of Contents
1. John Cage's 4'33. Is it Music?
2. Ontologies of Musical Works
3. Transcription, Authenticity, and Performance
4. The Ontology of Musical Works and the Authenticity of their Performances
5. Authenticity in Musical Performance
6. So, You Want to Sing with the Beatles? Too Late!
7. What is the Sound of One Piano Plummeting?
8. The Expression of Emotion in Music
9. Is Music a Language of the Emotions?
10. Contra the Hypothetical Persona in Music
11. Philosophical Perspectives on Music's Expressiveness
12. The Evaluation of Music
13. Musical Understandings and Musical Kinds
14. Attributing Significance to Unobvious Musical Relationships
15. The Multiple Interpretability of Musical Works