The Oxford Handbook of Dance and Ethnicity
Edited by Anthony Shay and Barbara Sellers-Young
Table of Contents
Anthony Shay and Barbara Sellers-Young. Dance and Ethnicity: An Introduction
Choreographing Ethnicity: Dance in the Construction of Ethnic Identity.
1. Christopher Wells. "And I Make My Own": Class Performance, Black Urban Identity, and Depression-Era Harlem's Physical Culture."
2. Aoife McGrath. "The Traditional Irish Dancing Body at Play: The Dance of 'Unfixed Thoughts' in the Work of Jean Butler and Colin Dunne."
3. Rebecca Rossen. "Dancing Jews and Jewesses: Jewishness, Ethnicity, and Exoticism in American Dance."
4. Darren Blaney. "Queering Ethnicity and Shattering the Disco: Is There an Enduring Gay Ethnic Dance?"
5. Petri Hoppu. "Dancing Multiple Identities: Preserving and Revitalizing Dances of the Skolt Sámi."
Dance as a Vehicle of Ethnic Values
6. Leonard Pronko and Jonathan M. Hall. "The Ethnicity of Japanese Dance."
7. Carol Silverman. "Diasporic Ethnicity, Gender, and Dance: Muslim Macedonian Roma in New York."
Choreographing the Nation: Dance as a Display of Ethnicity and Nationalism
8. Paul Scolieri. "'An Interesting Experiment in Eugenics': Ted Shawn, American Dance, and the Discourses of Sex, Race, and Ethnicity."
9. Ida Meftahi. "From Zanpush to Angel and Persian Princess: the Invention of a Female National Dancer in 20th-Century Iran."
10. Anthony Shay. "The Spectacularization of Soviet/Russian Folk Dance: Igor Moiseyev and the Invented Tradition of Staged Folk Dance."
11. Anthony Shay. "LADO, the State Ensemble of Croatian Folk Dances and Songs: Icon of Croatian Identity."
12. Jessica Ray Herzogenrath. "Authenticity and Ethnicity: Folk Dance, Americanization and the Immigrant Body in the Early Twentieth Century."
13. Andriy Nahachewsky. "A Folklorist's View of 'Folk' and 'Ethnic' Dance: Three Ukrainian Examples."
14. Gabriela Garcia-Mendoza. "The Jarabe Tapatío: Imagining Race, Nation, Class, and Gender in 1920s Mexico."
15. Jennifer Fisher. "Perception, Connections, and Performed Identities in American Ghanaian Dance Encounters."
Performing Ethnicity: Creating New Identities through the Dances of the 'Other.'
16. Andrea Deagon. "Orientalism and the American Belly Dancer: Multiplicity, Authenticity, Identity."
17. Kathy M. Milazzo. "Black Erased: The Tango de Negros in Spain's Romantic Age."
18. Allana Lindgren. "English-Canadian Ethnocentricity: The Case Study of Boris Volkoff at the 1936 Nazi Olympics."
19. Nancy Lee Ruyter "La Meri: Purveyor of the Dancing Other."
20. Rebekah Kowal "Choreographing Interculturalism: International Dance Performance at the Museum of Natural History, 1943-1952."
21. Juliet McMains. "'Hot' Latin Dance: Ethnic Identity and Stereotype."
22. Christey Carwile. "From Salsa to Salzonte: Rhythmic Identities and Inventive Dance Identities and Inventive Dance Traditions in Ghana."
23. Miriam Phillips. "Spectacle of Ethnicities: The San Francisco Ethnic Dance Festival."
Dance as a Form of Ethnic Resistance
24. Christos Papacostas. "Dancescapes: Dionysus's Culture and Olympic Representation."
25. Jennifer Fisher. "Ballet and Whiteness: Will Ballet Forever be the Kingdom of the Pale?"
26. Barbara Sellers-Young. "Men and the Happiness Dance."
27. Paula Conlon. "From Powwow to Stomp Dance: Parallel Dance Traditions in Oklahoma."
28. Christine Emi Chan. "Beyond Colonization, Commodification and Reclamation: Hula and Hawaiian Identity."
29. Diyah Larasati. "Crossing the Seas of Southeast Asia: Indigenous Diasporic Islam and Performances of Women's Igal."
30. Ana Patricia Farfán. "San Miguel the Arcángel, Capitan of Many Troops: An Ethno-iconographic Study of Danza de Migueles."
31. Thomas DeFrantz. "Black Dance After Race."