The Oxford Handbook of Childhood and Education in the Classical World
Edited by Judith Evans Grubbs, Tim Parkin, and Roslynne Bell
Table of Contents
PART I. GESTATION, BIRTH, DISEASE, AND DEATH
1. Véronique Dasen, Université de Fribourg
"Becoming Human: from the Embryo to the Newborn Child"
2. Tim Parkin, University of Manchester
"The Demography of Infancy and Early Childhood in the Ancient World"
3. Maria Liston and Susan Rotroff, University of Waterloo/Washington University in St. Louis
"Babies in the Well: Archaeological Evidence for Newborn Disposal in Hellenistic Greece"
4. Judith Evans Grubbs, Emory University
"(Not) Bringing up Baby: Infant Exposure and Infanticide"
5. Lesley Dean-Jones, University of Texas at Austin
"The child patient of the Hippocratics: early Pediatrics?"
6. Christian Laes, University of Antwerp/Free University of Brussels
"Raising a Disabled Child"
PART II. CHILDREN AND CHILDHOOD IN ANCIENT GREECE
7. John Oakley, College of William and Mary
"Children in Archaic and Classical Greek art: A Survey"
8. Susan Langdon, University of Missouri at Columbia
"Children as Learners and Producers in Early Greece"
9. Lesley Beaumont, University of Sydney
"Shifting Gender: Age and Social Status as Modifiers of Childhood Gender in Ancient Athens"
10. Robert Garland, Colgate University
"Children in Athenian Religion"
11. Louise Pratt, Emory University
"Play, Pathos and Precocity: The Three 'P's of Greek Literary Childhood"
PART III. CHILDREN AND CHILDHOOD IN ANCIENT ROME
12. Mark Golden, University of Winnipeg
"Children in Latin Epic"
13. Janette McWilliam, University of Queensland
"The Socialization of Roman Children"
14. Hanne Sigismund Nielsen, University of Calgary
"Slave and Lower-class Roman Children"
15. Lena Larsson Lovén, Gøteburg University
"Children and Childhood in Roman Commemorative Art"
16. Mary Harlow, University of Birmingham
"Toys, Dolls and the Material Culture of Childhood"
17. Thomas A.J. McGinn, Vanderbilt University
"Roman Children and the Law"
PART IV. EDUCATION AND EDUCATIONAL PHILOSOPHY IN THE CLASSICAL WORLD
18. Cynthia Patterson, Emory University
"Education in Plato's Laws"
19. Nigel Kennell, American School of Classical Studies at Athens
"Boys, Girls, Family, and the State at Sparta"
20. Matthew Dillon, University of New England
"Engendering the Scroll: Girls' and Women's Literacy in Classical Greece"
21. Eric Casey, Sweet Briar College
"Educating the Youth: the Athenian ephebeia in the Early Hellenistic Era"
22. Martin Bloomer, University of Notre Dame
"The Ancient Child in School"
PART V. CHILDREN IN THE EASTERN MEDITERRANEAN
23. Maryline Parca, University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign
"Children in Hellenistic Egypt: What the Papyri Say"
24. April Pudsey, Birkbeck College
"Children in Roman Egypt"
25. Sabine Huebner, Max-Planck Institut, Rostock
"Adoption and Fosterage in the Ancient Eastern Mediterranean"
26. Hagith Sivan, University of Kansas
"Pictorial paideia: Children in the Synagogue"
PART VI. LATE ANTIQUITY AND EARLY CHRISTIANITY
27. Blake Leyerle, University of Notre Dame
"Children and 'the Child' in early Christianity"
28. Ville Vuolanto, University of Tampere
"Elite Children, Socialization and Agency in the Late Roman world"
29. Jenny Kreiger, University of Michigan
"Remembering Children in the Roman Catacombs"
30. Susan Stevens, Randolph College
"Stages of Infancy in Roman Amphora Burial"
Keith Bradley, University of Notre Dame