The New Public Management in Action
Ewan Ferlie, Andrew Pettigrew, Lynn Ashburner, and Louise Fitzgerald
Table of Contents
List of Tables
1. Characterizing the 'New Public Management'
2. Public Sector Restructuring
3. The Creation and Evolution of Quasi-Markets
4. A Process of Transformational Change?
5. Board Composition: Managers and 'Magistrates'
6. The Board: From 'Rubber Stamp' to Strategy-Maker?
7. Professionals and the New Public Management
8. The Question of Accountability: New Forms or a Democratic Deficit?
9. Concluding Discussion
Appendix: Research Design and Methodology