Table of Contents
I. What is Sport?
(1) What is sport?
Barthes, Roland, First Chapter of What is Sport?, 2007
(2) Normative Theories of Sport: A Critical Review
Sigmund Loland, Journal of the Philosophy of Sport, 2004
II. Categories and Discrimination
A. Professional vs. Amateur
(3) Uneven bars: Age rules, antitrust, and amateurism in women's gymnastics
Ryan M. Rodenberg and Andrea N. Eagleman, University of Baltimore Law Review, 2011
(4) Going pro in sports: Providing guidance to student-athletes in a complicated legal and regulatory environment
Glenn M. Wong, Warren Zola, and Chris Deubert, Cardozo Arts and Entertainment Law Journal, 2011
(5) Women in Sport - Gender Relations and Future Perspectives
Pfister, Gertrud, Sport in Society, 2010
(6) Out of bounds? A critique of the new policies on hyperandrogenism in elite female athletes. Karkazis, Katrina, et al. The American Journal of Bioethics, 2012
(7) Race relations theories: Implications for sport management
Smith, E., Hattery, A., Journal of Sport Management, 2011
(8) Black Athletes in White Men's Games': Race, Sport and American National Pastimes.
Wiggins, David K The International Journal of the History of Sport, 2014
(9) The Baker, D. A. Science and engineering ethics, 2015
(10) More Similar Than Different: The Psychological Environment of Paralympic Sport
Dieffenbach, Kristen D., and Traci A. Statler, Journal of Sport Psychology in Action, 2012
III. Athletes as Role Models
(11) Professional Athletes and their Duty to be Role Models
Lynch, Sandra, Daryl Adair, and Paul Jonson. Achieving Ethical Excellence (Research in Ethical Issues in Organizations, Volume 12) Emerald Group Publishing Limited, 2014
(12) An Exploratory Study of Professional Black Male Athletes' Individual Social Responsibility (ISR).
Agyemang, Kwame, and John N. Singer. Spectrum: A Journal on Black Men 2013
IV. Power and Corruption
(13) Universities Gone Wild: Big Money, Big Sports, and Scandalous Abuse at Penn State
Giroux HA, Giroux SS, Critical Methodologies, 2012
(14) Investigating corruption in corporate sport: The IOC and FIFA
Jennings A, International Review for the Sociology of Sport, 2011
(15) Plata o plomo? Why do Footballers Fix Matches?
Hill, D, Original Publication, 2015
V. Risk: Choice and Coercion
A. Dangerous Sports
(16) The Organization and Regulation of Full Contact Martial Arts: A Case Study of Flanders
Vertonghen, Jikkemien, et al. Societies, 2014
B. Football and Concussions
(17) Concussion and football: Failures to respond by the NFL and the Medical Profession
David Orentlicher and William David, FIU Law Review, 2013
C. Managing Risk
(18) Player safety in youth sports: Sportsmanship and respect as an injury-prevention strategy
Douglas E. Abrams, Seton Hall Journal of Sports & Entertainment Law, 2012
(19) Health and Sports Law collide: do professional athletes have an unfettered choice to accept risk of harm?
Berger K, Med Law, 2011
VI. Medicine and Sports
(20) Ethical Issues in Sports Medicine: A Review and Justification for Ethical Decision Making and Reasoning
Greenfield BH, West CR, Sports Health: A Multidisciplinary Approach, 2012
VII. What about Animals?
(21) Humans, Horses, and Hybrids: On Rights, Welfare, and Masculinity in Equestrian Sports
Kutte Jonson, Scandinavian Sports Studies Forum, 2012
(22) Is Hunting a Sport?
John Alan Cohan, International Journal of Applied Philosophy, 2003
VIII. Enhancement and Improvement
(23) Sports Enhancement
Thomas H. Murray, Chapter From Birth to Death and Bench to Clinic: The Hastings Center Bioethics Briefing Book for Journalists, Policymakers, and Campaigns, 2008
(24) Performance-Enhancing Substances in Sports: A Review of the Literature.
Momaya, Amit, Marc Fawal, and Reed Estes. Sports Medicine, 2015
(25) Science at the Olympics, (Ice Vests, New Materials, Does Doping Work, and Neuroscience)
(26) Ethics of technologically constructed hypoxic environments in sport
Loland S, Caplan A., Scandinavian Journal of Medicine & Science in Sports, 2008
(27) Gene Transfer for Pain: A tool to cope with the intractable, or an unethical endurance enhancing technology?.
Camporesi, Silvia, and Michael J. McNamee. Life Sciences Society and Policy, 2012