The Drowned Muse
Casting the Unknown Woman of the Seine Across the Tides of Modernity
Table of Contents
I. DEATH AND THE MAIDEN
1. Thinking an Image in History and Theory
2. "The Most Poetic Topic in The World"
3. "White Ophelia Floats like a Great Lily"
II. THE DEAD WOMAN AND THE PALIMPSEST OF THE CITY
4. The Dead Woman and The Modern City
5. The City as a Magnified Ghost". A Cartography of Survivals
III TRACES OF A METAMORPHOSIS: POPULAR IMAGERY, PHOTOGRAPHY, CINEMA AND THEORY
6. The Inconnue As Popular Icon
7. Man Ray and Aurelien: When Text Meets Image
8. "Jellyfish at the Cinema"
9. "Emanating as if from the depths of a tomb": The Inconnue's Philosophical Lives