The Difficulty of Being Good
On the Subtle Art of Dharma
Table of Contents
Prelude: I Take an Academic Holiday
1. Duryodhana's Envy: ''What man of mettle will stand to see his rivals prosper and himself decline''
2. Draupadi's Courage: ''Who did you lose first, yourself or me?''
3. Yudhisthira's Duty: ''I act because I must''
4. Arjuna's Despair: ''There are no victors in war''
5. Bhishma's Selflessness: ''Be intent on the act, not its fruits''
6. Karna's Status Anxiety: ''How could a doe give birth to this tiger?''
7. Krishna's Guile: ''That is the way it is!''
8. Aswatthama's Revenge: ''Now I feel the whirligig of time''
9. Yudhisthira's Remorse: ''This victory looks more like defeat to me''
10: Mahabharata's Dharma: ''Great king, you weep with all creatures''
Conclusion: The Difficulty of Being Good
Appendix: Dharma, the Story of a Word
A Short Bibliographic Essay