The Antarctic: A Very Short Introduction
Download this VSI Reading Guide as an Adobe PDF (28 KB)
Questions for Thought and Discussion
- Why does the Antarctic fascinate us?
- In what ways does the Antarctic differ from the Arctic?
- How might we define geographically the Antarctic and why does it matter?
- In what ways did science, exploration and resource exploitation shape the discovery and colonization of the Antarctic?
- Why was Britain the first to make a territorial claim to the Antarctic?
- Why did the 1959 Antarctic Treaty transform the governance of the Antarctic?
- Can Antarctic science ever be divorced from geopolitical considerations?
- Should we ever allow mining to happen in the Antarctic?
- Do you think there should be such a thing as 'scientific whaling' in the Southern Ocean?
- How do we regulate illegal fishing in the Southern Ocean given the great distances and remoteness involved?
- Are you in favour of the Antarctic being a wilderness park?
- Should any country with an interest in the Antarctic be allowed to join the Antarctic Treaty System?
- Do you think the wider public need to be better informed about the Antarctic?
- Should the Antarctic be governed in the interests of all humankind?
Other books by Klaus Dodds
- K.Dodds Pink Ice: Britain and the South Atlantic Empire (I B Tauris 2002)
- T. Griffiths Slicing the Silence (Cambridge, Cambridge University Press 2007)
- J Rubin Lonely Planet Antarctica (Lonely Planet 2008)
- G Walker Antarctica (Bloomsbury 2012)
- S Pyne The Ice (University of Washington Press 1998)