Section 1--Control of Infectious Diseases.
1. Control of Infectious Diseases--A 20th Century Public Health Achievement, Stephen Ostroff, Peter Drotman, Alexandra M. Levitt
2. Advances in Food Safety to Prevention Foodborne Diseases in the United States, Robert V. Tauxe, Emilio J. Esteban
3. A Brief Romance with Magic Bullets: Rene' Dubos at the Dawn of the Antibiotic Era, Jill E. Cooper
Section 2--Control of Disease Through Vaccination.
4. A Shot at Protection: Immunizations Against Infectious Disease, Walter Orenstein, Alan R. Hinman
5. Polio Can Be Conquered: Science and Health Propaganda in the United States from Polio Polly to Jonas Salk, Naomi Rogers
Section 3--Maternal and Infant Health.
6. Safe Mothers, Healthy Babies: Reproductive Health in the 20th Century, Milton Kotelchuck
7. Pioneering Efforts to Decrease Infant and Maternal Mortality, Jacqueline H. Wolf
8. The Impact of Improved Nutrition on Disease Prevention, Richard D. Semba
9. The More Things Change, ...: A Historical Perspective on the Debate over Vitamin Advertising in the United States, Rima D. Apple
Section 5--Occupational Health.
10. Safer, Healthier Worker: Advances in Occupational Disease and Injury Prevention, Phillip Landrigan, Anthony Robbins
11. A Prejudice that May Cloud the Mentality: The Making of Objectivity in Early Twentieth-Century Occupational Health (A study of the Progressive Era origins of occupational medicine), Christopher Sellers
Section 6--Family Planning.
12. Family Planning: A Century of Change, Jacqueline E. Darroch
13. Teaching Birth Control on Tobacco Road and Mill Village Alley: Race, Class, and Birth Control in Public Health, Johanna Schoen
Section 7--Oral and Dental Health: Fluoridation.
14. Changing the Face of America: Water Fluoridation and Oral Health, Brian A. Burt, Scott L. Tomar
15. The Task is a Political One: The Promotion of Fluoridation, Gretchen Ann Reilly
Section 8--Vehicular Safety.
16. Drivers, Wheels and Roads: Motor Vehicle Safety in the 20th Century, David Sleet, Ann Dellinger, Bruce Jones
17. The Nut Behind the Wheel: Shifting Responsibilities for Traffic Safety Since 1895, Daniel M. Albert
Section 9--Cardiovascular Disease.
18. Heart Disease and Stroke Mortality in the 20th Century, Kurt Greenlund, Wayne H. Giles, Nora L. Keenan, Ann Marie Malarcher, Zhi Jie Zheng, Michele L. Casper, Gregory W. Heath, Janet B. Croft
19. Dietary Policy, Controversy and Proof: Doing Something Versus Waiting for the Definitive Evidence, Karin Garrety
Section 10--Tobacco and Disease Prevention.
20. Thank You for Not Smoking: The Public Health Response to Tobacco Related Mortality in the United States, Michael Eriksen, Lawrence Green, Corinne Husten, Linda Pederson, Terry Pechacek
21. The First Surgeon Generals Report on Tobacco: Science and the State in the New Age of Chronic Disease, Allen M. Brandt
Section 11--Concluding Chapter.
22. Public Health at the Dawn of the 21st Century, Jeffrey P. Koplan, Stephen B. Thacker