Table of Contents
PROLOGUE: EXCAVATING THE BIBLE
I. A GREEK CHRISTIAN WORLD?
1. Introduction: Christians and Jews in Gerasa
2. The Late Roman Near East: Time and Space
3. . Aramaic-speaking Pagans in the Christian Period?
4. A Greek World, Pagan and Christian
5. Greek Literary Culture in the Near East
6. Greek Christianity in its Local Context: Documentary Evidence
II. JEWS AND SAMARITANS IN A GREEK CHRISTIAN WORLD
1. Introduction: Greek in Palestine
2. Religious and Ethnic Communities in Palestine: Co-existence and Conflict
3. Samaritan Religion and Culture
4. Jews and Judaism in Palestine
5. The Jewish Diaspora: (a) The Mediterranean Coast and the Orontes Valley (b) From Arabia to Mesopotamia
III. SYRIANS AND SARACENS: SURYOYE AND TAYYOYE
1. Introduction: Sixth-century Divisions
2. The Background: the Third and Fourth Centuries
3. Syriac and Greek, 373-485
4. Syriac, 373-485: Inscriptions and Manuscripts
5. Syriac Writing before 485
6. The Flowering of Syriac from 485
7. Saracens or Tayyoye
EPILOGUE: CONNECTING TO MUHAMMAD?