Puzzles of Reference
Herman Cappelen and Josh Dever
Table of Contents
1. Introduction to Kripkeanism and the Rejection of Fregeanism
2. A Puzzle about Belief, Reference, and Agency
3. A Puzzle About Referring To What Isn't There
4. The Puzzle of Essential Indexicality
5. Reference Magnetism and a Puzzle About Reference Determination
6. A Puzzle About Naming Arbitrarily
7. Predicativism: The Puzzle of 'Every Alfred'
8. Plural Reference: The Puzzle of 'John and Paul and George and Ringo'
9. A Puzzle about Intuitions and Methodology
10. The End of Reference?