Mental Health in a Postmodern World
Patrick Bracken and Philip Thomas
Table of Contents
Introduction: 'The times they are a-changin'
Doing their best
1. Values, evidence, conflict
2. What counts as evidence?
The miracle drug
3. The battle for acceptance: defining the relationship between medicine and the world of madness and distress
4. Foregrounding contexts: what kinds of understanding are appropriate in the world of mental illness?
5. Mind, language and meaning
6. Ethics before technology - is 'treatment' the best way to think about mental health work?
7. Narrative and the ethics of representation
8. Meaning and recovery
9. Citizenship and the politics of identity
10. Are you local? Responding to the challenge of globalisation in mental health