New Order and Progress
Development and Democracy in Brazil
Ben Ross Schneider
Table of Contents
1. Ben Schneider. "21st Century Order and Progress: Brazil in Historical, Comparative, and Theoretical Perspectiv."
I. Development Strategy
2. Sarah Brooks and Marcus Kurtz (Department of Political Science, Ohio State University) "Natural Resources and Economic Development in Brazil"
3. Tyler Priest (Department of History, University of Iowa) "Petrobras and the History of Innovation in Offshore Oil"
4. Kevin Gallagher (International Studies, Boston University) and Daniela Prates (Departamento de Economia, Universidade de Campinas) "The New Developmentalism, the Financialized Resource Curse, and the Challenge of Exchange Rate Management in Brazil"
5. Sergio Lazzarini (Insper, São Paulo) and Aldo Musacchio (Brandeis Business School). "The Reinvention of State Capitalism in Brazil, 1970-2012"
6. Barbara Nunberg (School of International and Public Affairs, Columbia University) and Regina Pacheco (Department of Public Administration, Fundação Getúlio Vargas, São Paulo) "Public Management Incongruity in 21st Century Brazil"
7. Marta Arretche (Department of Political Science, Universidade de São Paulo) "Federalism, Social Policy, and Reductions in Territorial Inequality in Brazil"
III. Social Change
8. Francisco Ferreira (World Bank), Sérgio Firpo, (School of Economics, Fundação Getúlio Vargas, São Paulo) and Julian Messina (World Bank) "Understanding Recent Labor Market Dynamics and Reductions in Earning Inequality in Brazil"
9. Timothy Power (Oxford University) "The Political Implications of Declining Poverty and Inequality in Brazil"
IV. Political Representation
10. F. Daniel Hidalgo and Renato Lima (Political Science, MIT) "Elite Contestation and Mass Participation in Legislative Elections, 1945-2010"
11. Marcus Melo (Department of Political Science, Universidade Federal de Pernambuco) "Institutional Malaise and the New Politics of Accountability: Representation, Taxation, and the Social Contract"