SECTION I BASIC PRINCIPLES.
Part I Clinical and Molecular Embryology of the Central Nervous System.
1. Neural Crest Formation, Marianne Bronner-Fraser
2. The Embryonic Basis of Neural Tube Defects, Nicholas D.E. Greene, Andrew J. Copp
3. The Zebrafish as a Model for Analyzing Neural Tube Defects, Hakryul Jo, Laura Anne Lowery, Vincent Tropepe, Hazel Sive
4. Genetic Regulation of Early Nervous System Development, Ellen M. Carpenter
Part II Clinical Features of Neural Tube Defects.
5. Physical Examination of the Spine, Stuart L. Weinstein, Sergio A. Mendoza
6. Classification of Neural Tube Defects Cynthia A. Moore
7. Syndromes with Neural Tube Defects, Roger E. Stevenson, Laurie H. Seaver
8. The Tethered Cord Syndrome, Cary R. Templin, John F. Sarwark
9. Prenatal Screening and Diagnosis of Neural Tube Defects, Glenn J. Gardener, Charles H. Rodeck
Part III Epidemiology of Neural Tube Defects.
10. Methodological Issues in the Study of Neural Tube Defects, Russell S. Kirby
11. Birth Defects Surveillance Systems and Neural Tube Defects, Lowell E. Sever
12. An International Perspective on Anencephaly and Spina Bifida: Prevalences by the Turn of the Century, Rolv T. Lie
13. Maternal Exposure to Selected Environmental Factors and Risk for Neural Tube Defects in the Offspring, Diego F. Wyszynski
Part IV. Genetics of Neural Tube Defects.
14. Nonsyndromic Neural Tube Defects: Genetic Basis and Genetic Investigations, Evadnie Rampersaud, Elizabeth C. Melvin, Marcy C. Speer
15. Genetic Risk Factors for Neural Tube Defects: Variants in Folate Metabolism, Rima Rozen
16. Genetics of Syndromic Neural Tube Defects, Sonja A. Rasmussen, Jaime L. Frias
17. Mouse Mutants as Models of Neural Tube Defects, Andrew J. Copp, Nicholas D.E. Greene, Jennifer N. Murdoch
SECTION II TREATMENT AND EDUCATION.
18. Fetal Surgery for Myelomeningocele, Kelly A. Bennett, George H. Davis, Noel Tulipan, Joseph P. Bruner
19. Postnatal Surgery for Myelomeningocele, Jonathan P. Miller, Alan R. Cohen
20. Neurosurgical Management of Adults with Spina Bifida, Harold L. Rekate
21. Orthopedic Surgery, Luciano Dias
22. Urological Care and Management of Patients with Neural Tube Defects, David B. Joseph
23. Cognition, Education, and Learning Disorders, Gregory S. Liptak
24. Transition to Adulthood, Gregory S. Liptak
25. Transition/Separation, Toilet Training, and Sexuality, David B. Shurtleff, Carole A. Sobkowiak, William Walker
26. Psychological Adjustment and Family Relationships in Children and Adolescents with Spina Bifida, Rachel Neff Greenley, Grayson N. Holmbeck, Jill Zukerman, Colleen F. Buck
27. When and How to Communicate with People with Spina Bifida and Their Families, Sonya G. Oppenheimer
28. Genetic Counseling and Interpretation of Risk Figures, Robert A. Saul
SECTION III PUBLIC HEALTH ISSUES.
29. Preventing All Folic Acid-Preventable Spina Bifida, Godfrey P. Oakley, Jr.
30. The Half-Life of Cost-of-Illness Estimates: The Case of Spina Bifida, Norman J. Waitzman, Patrick S. Romano, Scott D. Grosse
31. Insurance and Coverage of Care for Individuals with Spina Bifida and Other Neural Tube Defects, Holly Grason, Jamie J. Perry
32. Assessment of Health-Related Quality of Life in Individuals with Neural Tube Defects, Jim Stevenson, Ineke M. Pit-Ten Cate
33. Ethics at the Forefront: Moral Decisions and Responsibility When Confronted with Spina Bifida, Mark J. Bliton