Molecular Genetic Approaches in Conservation
Edited by Thomas B. Smith and Robert K. Wayne
Table of Contents
1. An Overview of the Issues, Georgina M. Mace et al.
2. Nuclear Genetic Analysis of Population Structure and Genetic Variation Using Intron Primers, Stephen R. Palumbi and C. Scott Baker
3. Application of Anonymous Nuclear Loci to Conservation Biology, Stephen A. Karl
4. The Use of Random Amplified Polymorphic DNA (RAPD) in Conservation Genetics, Peter Fritsch and Loren H. Riesberg
5. The Utility of Paternally Inherited Nuclear Genes in Conservation Genetics, Priscilla K. Tucker and Barbara L. Lundrigran
6. Applications of Allozyme Electrophoresis in Conservation Biology, Paul L. Leberg
7. Regional Approaches to Conservation Biology: RFLPs, DNA Sequence and Caribbean Birds, Eldredge Bermingham, Gilles Seutin, and Robert E. Ricklefs
8. The Use of Mitochondrial DNA Control Region Sequencing in Conservation Genetics, Pierre Taberlet
9. Chloroplast DNA Sequencing to Resolve Plant Phylogenies between Closely Related Taxa, Ludovic Gielly and Pierre Taberlet
10. Reconstructing Population History Using PCR-Restriction Site Data, Nicholas Georgiadis
11. The Use of PCR-Based Single-Stranded Conformation Polymorphism Analysis (PCR-SSCP) in Conservation Genetics, Derek J. Girman
12. Application of Chloroplast DNA Restriction Site Studies for Conservation Genetics, Javier Francisco-Ortega et al.
13. A PCR Approach to Detection of Malaria in Hawaiian Birds, Rebecca L. Cann et al.
14. Polymorphism of Genes in the Major Histocompatibility Complex (MHC): Implications for Conservation Genetics of Vertebrates, Scott V. Edwards and Wayne K. Potts
15. DNA Multilocus Fingerprinting Using Simple Repeat Motif Oligonucleotides, Kornelia Rassmann, Hans Zischler, and Diethard Tautz
16. Minisatellite Analysis in Conservation Genetics, Terry Burke, Olivier Hannote, and Iris Van Pijlen
17. Microsatellites and Their Application to Conservation Genetics, Michael W. Bruford et al.
18. Noninvasive Genotyping for Vertebrate Conservation, Phillip A. Morin and David S. Woodruff
19. Future Applications of PCR to Conservation Biology, Deidre Carter et al.
20. Estimation of Effective Population Size and Migration Parameters from Genetic Data, Joseph E. Neigel
21. Simulation Models of Bottleneck Events in Natural Populations, John Halley and A. Rus Hoelzel
22. Assessing Relatedness and Evolutionary Divergence: Why the Genetic Evidence Alone Is Insufficient, Richard A. Nichols
III. CASE STUDIES
23. Molecular Genetics and the Conservation of Salmonid Biodiversity: Oncorhynchus at the Edge of Their Range, Jennifer L. Nielsen
24. Population Genetics of Kenyan Impalas--Consequences for Conservation, Peter Arctander et al.
25. Paternity Studies in Animal Populations, Patricia G. Parker, T. A. Waite, and T. Peare
26. Genetic Structure of Natural Taxus Populations in Western North America, Stanley Scher
27. Applications of Genetics to the Conservation and Management of Australian Fauna, Craig Moritz et al.
28. Conservation Genetics and Molecular Techniques: A Perspective, Philip W. Hedrick