Making Sense of Fibromyalgia
New and Updated
Daniel J. Wallace, MD and Janice Brock Wallace, MPA
Table of Contents
Preface to the Second Edition
Fibromyalgia Made Simple: A Parable
1. How Our Understanding of Fibromyalgia Evolved
2. What is Fibromyalgia?
3. Who Gets Fibromyalgia and Why?
4. Why and How Do We Hurt?
5. What's Wrong with My Muscles?
6. How Do Stress, Sleep, Hormones, and the Immune System Interact and Relate to Fibromyalgia?
7. What is the Autonomic Nervous System?
8. Generalized Complaints
9. "I'm Stiff and Achy" -- Musculoskeletal Complaints
10. Tingles, Shocks, Wires, and Neurologic
11. Insights into Insides: Chest, Cardiovascular, and Other Concerns
12. What are the Regional and Localized Forms of Fibromyalgia?
13. What Conditions are Associated with Fibromyalgia?
14. Controversial Syndromes and Their Relationship to Fibromyalgia
15. What Happens at a Fibromyalgia Consultation?
16. Are You Sure It's Really Fibromyalgia?
17. I'm Not Crazy!
18. Influences of Lifestyle and Environment on Fibromyalgia
19. The Influence of Exercise and Rehabilitation on the Mind and Body
20. How to Overcome Fibromyalgia
21. Evalulating Medicines that Work for Fibromyalgia
22. Drugs that May Be Useful in Fibromyalgia Patients: An Overview
23. The Economic Burden of Fibromyalgia, Work and Disability
24. What's the Prognosis?
25. The Future Holds a Lot of Hope
Appendix 1: Resource Information
Appendix 2: Glossary