India's Villages in the 21st Century
Revisits and Revisions
Edited by Surinder S. Jodhka and Edward Simpson
Table of Contents
Preface and Acknowledgements
Introduction: Revisiting the Rural
Section I: Rural Economies and Agrarian Lives
1. Agrarian Change and Social Mobility in Tamil Nadu
Göran Djurfeldt, Venkatesh Athreya, N Jayakumar, Staffan Lindberg, A Rajagopal, R Vidyasagar
2. Non-farm Diversification, Inequality and Mobility in Palanpur
Himanshu, Bhavna Joshi, Peter Lanjouw
3. Structural Change in Bihar's Rural Economy: Findings from a Longitudinal Study
Alakh N Sharma, Gerry Rodgers
4. Changes in Land Relations: The Political Economy of Land Reforms in a Kerala Village.
Section II: Relational Frames and Power Dynamics
5. Emergent Ruralities: Revisiting Village Life and Agrarian Change in Haryana.
Surinder S Jodhka
6. Land, Labour and Power: A Malwa Village, 1954-2012
7. Migration, Bachelorhood and Discontent among the Patidars
8. F G Bailey's Bisipara Revisited
Tina Otten, Edward Simpson
Section III: Margins and Marginalities
9. Scheduled Caste Political Exclusion and Subordination in Rural Malwa, Punjab.
10. Living Together Separately: Dalits in an Emergent Collectivity in a Rajasthan Village
Shashi Bhushan Singh
11. Historical Transformations in Boundary and Land Use in
New Delhi's Urban Villages
Sudev J Sheth
12. Hermit Village or Zomian Republic? An Update on the Political Socio-Economy of a Remote Himalayan Community.
Richard Axelby, Suzanne Rigaud
13. Inequality in Rural Nagaland: Changing Structures and Mechanisms
In Lieu of Conclusion: Revisits and Revisions
14. Village Restudies, Trials and Tribulations.