Geology and Health
Closing the Gap
Edited by H. Catherine W. Skinner and Antony R. Berger
Table of Contents
List of Contributors
Part I: Natural Geologic Hazards
1. Linking Health To Geology, Antony R. Berger
A. Physical--Obvious and Immediate
2. Natural Dust and Pneumoconiosis in High Asia, Edward Derbyshire
3. Human Sickness and Mortality Rates in Relation to the Distant Eruption of Volcanic Gases: Rural England and the 1783 Eruption of the Laki Fissure, Iceland, John Grattan et al.
B. Chemical--"Silent" and Long Term
4. Human Geophagy: a Review of Its Distribution, Causes, and Implications, Peter W. Abrahams
5. Geogenic Arsenic and Associated Toxicity Problems in the Groundwater-Soil-Plant-Animal-Human Continuum, R. Naidu and P. R. Nadebaum
6. Geological Epidemiology: Coal Combustion in China Robert B. Finkelman et al.
7. Mitigation of Endemic Arsenocosis with Selenium: an Example from China, Wang Wuyi et al.
8. Biogeochemical Cycling of Iodine and Selenium and Potential Geomedical Relevance, Eiliv Steinnes
9. Environmental Iodine in Iodine Deficiency Disorders, with a Sri Lankan Example, Fiona M. Fordyce et al.
10. Mercury, a Toxic Metal, and Dental Amalgam Removal, U. Lindh et al.
11. Nuclear Accumulation of Mercury in Neutrophil Granulocytes Associated with Exposure from Dental Amalgam, A. Lindvall et al.
12. Cadmium Accumulation in Browse Vegetation, Alaska--Implications for Animal Health, L. P. Gough, J. G. Crock, and W. C. Day
13. Molybdenosis Leading to Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus in Swedish Moose, Adrian Frank
Part II: Anthropogenic Changes to the Geologic Environment
14. Surface and Groundwater Quality and Health, with a Focus on the United Kingdom, Colin Neal
15. Breast and Prostate Cancer: Sources and Pathways of Endocrine-disrupting Chemicals, Jane A. Plant and Devra L. Davis
16. A Legacy of Empires? An Exploration of the Environmental and Medical Consequences of Metal Production in Wadi Faynan, Jordan, John Grattan et al.
17. Life in a Copper Province, Eleanora I. Robbins and Michalann Harthill
18. Health Problems Related to Environmental Fibrous Minerals, Gunnar Hillerdal
19. Anthropogenic Distribution of Lead, H. W. Mielke et al.
Part III. Identifying the Hazards
20. Environmental Geochemistry on a Global Scale, Jane A. Plant et al.
21. Biogeochemical Monitoring in Medical Geology, O. Selinus
22. Some Environmental Problems of Geomedical Relevance in East and Southern Africa, T. C. Davies
23. Geochemistry and Vertebrate Bones, H. Catherine W. Skinner
24. Soil Nutrient Deficiencies in an Area of Endemic Osteoarthritis (Mseleni Joint Disease) and Dwarfism in Maputoland, South Africa, Portia O. Ceruti, Martin Fey, and Justin Pooley
25. Minerals in Human Blood Vessels and Their Dissolution in Vitro, Maciej Pawlikowski
26. Organic Compounds Derived from Pliocene Lignite and the Etiology of Balkan Endemic Nephropathy, Calin A. Tatu et al.
Glossary of Medical Terms