Faces on the Ballot
The Personalization of Electoral Systems in Europe
Alan Renwick and Jean-Benoit Pilet
Table of Contents
1. Introduction: Debating the Personalization of Politics and Electoral Systems
Part 1. Are Electoral Systems Becoming More Personalized?
2. The Personalization of Electoral Systems: What Is It?
Appendix to Chapter 2
3. European Electoral Systems, 1945-2009
Appendix to Chapter 3
Part 2. What Explains Electoral System Personalization?
4. Conditions of Electoral System Personalization
Appendix to Chapter 4
5. Electoral System Personalization: The Origins of Europe's Electoral Systems
6. Electoral Reforms before the Personalization Era: 1945-1989
7. The Politics of Personalization since 1989: Flexible-List Systems
8. The Politics of Personalization since 1989: Closed-List, Open-List, Mixed, and Non-List Systems
Part 3. Do Personalizing Electoral Reforms Have Any Effects?
9. Personalization and Election Results
10. Personalization and Democratic Renewal: Anything More than Talk?