Section I: Overview and Critical Issues
1. Designing, Searching for, Finding, and Implementing Practice-Based Research and Evidence-Based Studies, Albert R. Roberts, Ph.D. and Kenneth Yeager, Ph.D.
2. Implementing Best Practice and Expert Consensus Procedures, Vikki L. Vandiver D.P.H. and Kevin Corcoran Ph.D. J.D.
3. Overview of Evidence Based Practices, Richard N. Rosenthal M.D.
4. Informing Health Choices: Reflections on Knowledge Integration Strategies for Electronic Health Records, Robert Hayward M.D., M.P.H., FRCPC
5. Toward Common Performance Indicators and Measures for Accountability in Behavioral Health, Gregory Teague, Ph.D., Tom Trabin, and Charles Ray
6. An Overview of Focus Group Interviewing, Mary Anne Casey, Ph.D. and Richard Krueger, Ph.D.
7. Mental Illness, Substance Dependence and Suicidality: Secondary Data Analysis, Kenneth Yeager, Ph.D. and Albert R. Roberts, Ph.D.
8. Making Participant Observation Research Matter: A Typology Based on 12,000 Felons, Fredric G. Reamer Ph.D.
9. Computer Technology and Social Work, Carrie Petrucci Ph.D., Stuart Kirk Ph.D., and William Reid, D.S.W.
10. Problem Formulation, Conceptualization, and Theory Development, Harris Chaiklin Ph.D.
11. Statistics for Human Service Workers, Gunner Almgren, Ph.D.
Section II: Research Ethics and Step-by-Step Research Grant Guidelines
12. Methodological, Practical and Ethical Challenges to Inner-City Health Research, Stephen W. Hwang M.D., M.P.H., Rochelle E. Martin, M.Sc., and Ahmed M. Bayoumi, M.D., M.S.
13. Qualitative Research Ethics: Thriving within Tensions, Beverley J. Antle, Ph.D., Cheryl Regehr, Ph.D., and F. Mishna, Ph.D.
14. The Fine Art of Grantsmanship, David Streiner, Ph.D.
15. Applying for Research Grants: Step-by-Step Guidelines, Carol T. Mowbray, Ph.D.
16. Setting the Stage for Accountability and Program Evaluation in Community-Based Grant-making, Cindy A. Crusto, Ph.D. and Abraham Wandersman, Ph.D.
17. Conducting Cost-Benefit Analysis in Human Service Settings, Michael J. Camasso Ph.D., Carol Harvey Ph.D. and Radha Jagannathan Ph.D.
Section III: Evidence-Based Practice: Diagnosis, Interventions, and Outcome Research
18. Concise Standards for Developing Evidence-Based Practice Guidelines, Aaron Rosen, Ph.D., and Enola K. Proctor, Ph.D.
19. Healthcare Evidence Based Practice: A Product of Political and Cultural Times, Sophia F. Dziegielewski, Ph.D. and Albert R. Roberts, Ph.D.
20. Facilitating Practitioner Use of Evidence-Based Practice, Edward J. Mullen, D.S.W.
21. Implementation of Practice Guidelines and Evidence-Based Treatment: A Survey of Psychiatrists, Psychologists and Social Workers, Edward J. Mullen, D.S.W. and William Bacon, Ph.D.
22. Measuring Skills and Reasoning Scientifically and Critically About Practice, Len Gibbs Ph.D. and Eileen Gambrill Ph.D.
23. Task Centered Practice: An Exemplar of Evidence-Based Practice, William Reid, D.S.W. and Anne E. Fortune, Ph.D.
24. Treatment Evidence in a Non-Experimenting Practice Environment: Some Recommendations for Increasing Supply and Demand, Michael J. Camasso, Ph.D.
25. Evidence-Based Practice and Manualized Treatment with Children, Craig Winston LeCroy Ph.D. and Scott Okamoto Ph.D.
26. Evidence-Based Treatment for Traumatized and Abused Children, Carlton Munson Ph.D.
27. Treating Juvenile Delinquents with Conduct Disorder, ADHD, and Oppositional Defiance Disorder, David W. Springer, Ph.D.
28. Evidence-Based Treatments for Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD): Deciding What Treatment Method Works for Whom?, Jonathan S. Abramowitz, Ph.D. and Stephanie A. Schwartz, Ph.D.
29. The Implications of Controlled Outcome Studies on Planned Short-Term Psychotherapy with Depressive Disorders, Bernard Bloom, Ph.D., Kenneth Yeager, Ph.D. and Albert R. Roberts, Ph.D.
30. Evidence Based Practice with Anxiety Disorders: Guidelines Based on 59 Outcome Studies, Bernard Bloom Ph.D., Kenneth Yeager, Ph.D. and Albert R. Roberts, Ph.D.
31. Cognitive Behavioral Therapy of Persons with PTSD: An Evidence Based Approach, M. Elizabeth Vonk, Ph.D. and Patrick Bordnick, Ph.D., M.P.H.
32. Evidence-Based Life Skills Interventions for Pregnant Adolescents in School Settings, Mary Beth Harris, Ph.D. and Cynthia Franklin, Ph.D.
33. Evidence-Based Practice with EMDR, Karen Knox, Ph.D.
34. Dysthymic Disorder and the College Student: Evidence-Based Mental Health Approach, Joseph Walsh Ph.D. and Jacqueline Corcoran Ph.D.
35. Implementing Evidence-Based Practices in Opioid Agonist Therapy (OAT) Clinics, Mark Willenbring, M.D. and Hildi Hagedorn Ph.D.
36. Evidence Based Couples Therapy with Depressed Clients, Jacqueline Cocoran Ph.D.
Section IV: Epidemiological and Public Health Research
37. Epidemiology Basics and Foundation Skills, David Streiner, Ph.D.
38. Application of Remote Sensing for Disease Surveillance in Urban and Suburban Areas, Annelise Tran, Jacques Gardon, Laurent Polidori
39. Establishing Collaborations that Engender Trust in the Prevention of Sexually Transmitted Diseases, James C. Thomas, MPH, PhD, Eugenia Eng, MPH, DrPH, Sara Ackerman, MPH, Jo Anne Earp, ScD, Hattie Ellis, MEd, and Colleen Carpenter, MA, MPH
40. Prevalence of Smoking and Cessation Among Northern Plains Indians, Gred Holzman and Todd Harwell
41. Using Evaluation Data as the Basis for a Local Ordinance to Control Alcohol and Tobacco Billboards in Chicago, Diana P. Hackbarth, RN, PhD, FAAN
42. Use of Random Digit Dialing to Recruit Representative Population Samples: Epidemiological Case Control Studies, Lynda S.Voigt Ph.D.
Section V: Conceptualization, Operationalization, and Measurement
43. Measuring and Evaluating Effectiveness of Services for Families and Children, Charles L. Usher Ph.D.
44. Risk Adjusted Mental Health Outcomes, Michael S. Hendryx Ph.D.
45. Validity and Reliability in Family Assessment, Cynthia Franklin Ph.D., Patricia A. Cody, M.S.W., and Catheleen Jordan, Ph.D.
46. Statistical Methods for Estimates of Inter-rater Reliability, Charles Auerbach, Ph.D., Heidi Heft LaPorte, D.S.W., Richard K. Caputo, Ph.D.
47. Elements of Consumer Based Outcome Measurement, Carol Snively Ph.D.
48. Using Computer Technology in the Measurement and Prevention of College Drinking, Heather Parris, M.S.S.W. and John S. Wodarski, Ph.D.
Section VI: Assessment Tools and Measures
49. Locating Measurement Tools and Instruments for Individuals and Couples, Kevin Corcoran Ph.D.
50. Overview of Health Scales and Measures, David Streiner, Ph.D.
51. Clinician and Patient Satisfaction with Computer-Assisted Diagnostic Assessment in Community Outpatient Clinics, Edward J. Mullen, D.S.W., Christopher Lucas, M.D., Prudence Fisher, Ph.D., and William Bacon, Ph.D.
52. Psychosocial Measures for Asian Pacific Americans, Marianne R. Yoshioka, Ph.D. and Tazuko Shibusawa, Ph.D.
53. Crisis Assessment Measures and Tools, Albert R. Roberts, Ph.D.
54. Outcome Measurement Scale with Families of the Seriously Mentally Ill, Phyllis Solomon Ph.D. and Jeffrey Drane Ph.D.
55. Constructing and Validating Assessment tools for School Based Practitioners: The Elementary School Successful Profile, Natasha Bowen, Ph.D. Gary Bowen Ph.D. and Michael Wooley Ph.D.
56. PTSD and Trauma Assessment Scales, Patrick Bordnick, Ph.D., M.P.H., Betsy Vonk, Ph.D. and Ken Graap, M.Ed.
57. Diagnosis and Assessment of Comorbid Oppositional Defiance Disorder and Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, Gary Mitchell, M.S.W. and Dawn Koontz, Ph.D.
58. Assessment Measures for Sexual Predators: Step-by-Step Guidelines, Graham Glancy, M.D. and Cheryl Regehr, Ph.D.
59. "Optimal Practice" Clinical Neuropsychology: A Cautionary Tale and Revisionist Proto-Model, Nathaniel J. Pallone, Ph.D. and James J. Hennessy, Ph.D.
60. Development of the Fatherhood Scale, Gary Dick Ph.D.
61. Constructing and Validating a Specific Multi-item Assessment or Evaluation Tool, Anna C. Faul Ph.D. and Michiel A. van Zyl Ph.D.
Section VII: Program Evaluation Strategies
62. Empowerment Evaluation, David Fetterman, Ph.D. and Mimi Eiler, Ph.D.
63. The 7 Secrets of a Successful Veteran Evaluator, C. Aaron McNeece, Ph.D.
64. Integrating Program Evaluation and Organization Development, Charles McClintock Ph.D.
65. Process Vs. Outcome Evaluation, Michael J. Smith, D.S.W.
66. Data Quality for International Service Evaluation, Natalia Pane Ph.D.
67. The Data Whisperer: Strategies for Motivating Raw Data Providers, Natalia Pane Ph.D.
68. Needs Assessment: A Step-by-Step Approach, Douglas Leigh Ph.D.
69. Budgeting and Fiscal Management in Program Evaluations, Leon Ginsburg, Ph.D.
70. Constructing and Using Logic Models in Program Evaluation, Thomas Chapel Ph.D.
71. Program Evaluation: This is Rocket Science, Kenneth R. Yeager Ph.D.
72. The Evaluation of Training for Leaders of Foster and Adoptive Parent Support Groups, Elizabeth King Keenan, Ph.D.
73. Documenting Change in Addiction Treatment Systems: A Model for Evaluation and Examples of Its Use, Dianna L. Newman, Ph.D., Jennifer A. Smith, Ph.D., Margaret M. Geehan, Ph.D. Gail Viamonte, Ed.D.
74. Innovative Approaches to Risk Assessment within Alcohol Prevention Programming, Lori Holleran, Ph.D.
Section VIII: Practice-Based Qualitative Research Exemplars
75. Qualitative Evaluation Application of Reflective Practice in Direct Care Settings, Ian Shaw Ph.D.
76. Qualitative Research with Battered Women: A Continuum Based on 501 Cases, Albert R. Roberts, Ph.D.
77. Using Qualitative Research to Enhance Practice: The Example of Breast Cancer in African American Women, Julianne S. Oktay, Ph.D., and Eunice Y. Park, M.S.W.
78. Qualitative Research: Cancer Prevention in Older Women, Donna Hurdle Ph.D.
79. How Family Members of the Mentally Ill View Mental Health Professionals: A Focused Ethnography, Eric D. Johnson, Ph.D.
80. Death on a Daily Basis: Integrating Research and Practice in Support Groups for ICU Nurses in Southern Brazil, William Gomes, Ph.D., Ciommara R. S. Beninca, Ph.D., and Sherri McCarthy, Ph.D.
81. Family Status and Soup Kitchen Use: Some Policy Considerations Based on Qualitative Research Findings, Harris Chaiklin, Ph.D. and Marc Lipton, Ph.D.
Section IX: Practice Based Quantitative Research Exemplars
82. A Cognitive Behavioral Approach to Suicide Risk Reduction in Crisis Intervention, Marjorie Wehshar Ph.D.
83. Effects of Restorative Justice on Fear of Revictimization: A Meta-Analysis Using Hierarchical Generalized Linear Models, Mona M. Williams-Hayes, Ph.D. and William R. Nugent, Ph.D.
84. Factors Associated with Crime on the Casino Floor: Implications of Secondary Data Analysis, Gerald LaSalle, M.A.
85. Homicides in Older Women in New York City: A Profile Based on Secondary Data Analysis, Patricia Brownell, Ph.D. and Jacquelin Berman, Ph.D.
86. Effective Outcomes Management at Deveraux, Howard A. Savin Ph.D.
87. Developing Treatment Programs for Drug Courts and Evaluating Effectiveness, Sherri McCarthy, Ph.D. and Thomas Franklin Waters, Ph.D.
88. Application of Logic Models in Rural Program Development, Paul Longo Ph.D.
89. Amplifying Performance Measurement Literacy: Reflections from the Appalachian Partnership for Welfare Reform, Paul Longo, Ph.D.
90. HIV Prevention: Evidenced Based Practice with Infrastructure Support, Sarah J. Lewis, Ph.D. and Ellen Goldstein, M.A.
91. Community Reintegration Pre-Release Research Exemplar: Applying Theory to Practice-Based Research, Harris Chaiklin, Ph.D.
92. Principles, Practices and Findings of the St. Louis Conundrum: A Large-Scale Field Experiment with Anti-Social Children, Ronald A. Feldman, Ph.D.
93. Measuring Police and Citizen Perceptions of Police Power in Newark, New Jersey, Gina Pisano Robertiello, Ph.D.
94. The Role of Families in Buffering Stress in Persons with Mental Illness: A Correlational Study, Eric D. Johnson, Ph.D.
95. Cognitive Rehabilitation and Neuronal Plasticity: Research on the Effectiveness of Quantitative EEG Biofeedback, Kirtley Thornton, Ph.D.
Section X: Establishing, Monitoring and Maintaining Quality and Operational Improvement
96. Framework for Institutionalizing Quality Assurance, Diana R. Silimperi M.D.
97. Application of Quality Management Methods for Preventing an Adverse Event: The Case of Falls in Hospitals, Catherine Genier-Sennelier, MD, PhD and Etienne Minvielle, MD, PhD
98. Establishment and Utilization of Balanced Scorecards, Kenneth R. Yeager Ph.D.
99. Strengthening Practice Through Results Management, Dennis K. Orthner Ph.D. and Gary Bowen Ph.D.
100. Measuring Clients Perception as Outcome Measurement, Celine Mercier, Michael Landry, Marc Corbere, and Michael Perreault
101. Social Work Role in Disease Management, Nancy Claiborne Ph.D. and Henry Bandenburgh Ph.D.
102. Establishing Benchmark Programs within Addictions Treatment, Ronald Hunsicker, Ph.D.
103. Establishment of Quality Programming, Helen Hartnett Ph.D. and Stephen Kapp Ph.D.
Section XI: Epilogue
104. The Clinical Utility of Mental Health Research: Bridging the Present to the Future, Peter E. Nathan, Ph.D. and Jack M. Gorman. M.D.
Internet Resources on Research and Evaluation in Healthcare and Human Service Settings