Chasing After Street Gangs
A Forty-Year Journey
Malcolm Klein and Series edited by Henry N. Pontell
Table of Contents
, About the Author
Part I: Four Levels of Street Gang Information
1. A review of Gang and Nongang Jurisdictions
Relationships of gang presence to city size and location; the overall prevalence of street gangs.
2. Street Gangs and Other Groups, youth and adult
Street gangs defined; the difference between definers and descriptors of street gangs.
3. Street Gang Members and Nongang Youth
Predictors of gang membership, prevalence of gang members in different communities, and the dangers of overidentifying gang members.
4. Street Gang Crimes Defined
"Member-related", "motive-related", and "gang-furtherance" meanings of gang-related criminal acts.
Part II: Three Contexts for Understanding Street Gangs
5. Gang Processes and Structures, the largely ignored fact about street gangs
Group processes that make gangs qualitatively different from most other groups. Five street gang structures and their implications.
6. Street Gangs Here and There
Gangs in Europe (The Eurogang Program) and the consequences for generic knowledge of street gangs.
7. Approaches to Street Gang Control, from early prevention, through intervention, to outright suppression
Program implementation, success, and failure.
8. Concluding Comments: The Next Ten Years
, Selected Supplemental Readings