Challenging Inequities in Health
From Ethics to Action
Edited by Timothy Evans, Margaret Whitehead, Finn Diderichsen, Abbas Bhuiya, and Meg Wirth
Table of Contents
Foreword, Sheikh Hasina
Part I: Establishing Values
1. Challenging Health Inequities: An Introduction, Tim Evans, et al.
2. The Social Basis of Disparities in Health, Finn Diderichsen, Tim Evans , and Margaret Whitehead
3. Ethical Dimensions of Health Equity, Fabienne Peter and Tim Evans
4. Health Equity in a Globalizing World, Lincoln C. Chen and Giovanni Berlinguer
Part II: Assessing and Analyzing the Health Divide
Introduction to Part II
5. Measuring Disparities in Health: Methods and Indicators, Sudhir Anand, et al.
6. The Fundamental Challenges of Measurement and Perceptions in Health Equity, Amartya Sen
7. China: Increasing Health Gaps in a Transitional Economy, Yuanli Liu, et al.
8. Japan: Historical and Current Dimensions of Health and Health Equity, Toshihiko Hasegawa
9. United States: Social Inequality and the Burden of Poor Health, Laura D. Kubzansky, et al.
10. Chile: Socioeconomic Differentials and Mortality in Middle-Income Nations, Jennette Vega, et al.
11. Russia: Socioeconomic Dimensions of the Gender Gap in Mortality, Vladimir M. Shkolnikov, Mark G. Field, and Evgueni M. Andreev
12. Tanzania: Gaining Insights into Adolescent Lives and Livelihoods, Vinand M. Nantulya, et al.
Part III: Tackling Root Causes
Introduction to Part III
13. Gender, Health, and Equity: The Intersections, Piroska Östlin, Gita Sen, and Asha George
14. South Africa: Addressing the Legacy of Apartheid, Lucy Gilson and Di McIntyre
15. Kenya: Uncovering the Social Determinants of Road Traffic Accidents, Florence Muli-Musiime and Vinand Nantuya
16. Bangladesh: An Intervention Study of Factors Underlying Increasing Equity in Child Survival, Abbas Bhuiya, et al.
17. Sweden and Britain: The Impact of Policy Context on Inequities in Health, Finn Diderichsen, et al.
Part IV: Building Efficient, Equitable Health Care Systems
Introduction to the Issues
18. Health Care Financing: Assessing its Relationship to Health Equity, William C. Hsiao and Yuanli Liu
19. Mexico: Marginality, Need, and Resource Allocation at the County Level, Rafael Lozano, et al.
20. Vietnam: Efficient, Equity-Oriented Financial Strategies for Health, Pham Manh Hung, et al.
Part V: Conclusion
21. Developing the Policy Response to Inequities in Health: A Global Perspective, Margaret Whitehead, Göran Dahlgren, and Lucy Gilson