Table of Contents
2. The Bulgarian National Renaissance; i. Introduction.
3. The Bulgarian National Renaissance; ii. The Cultural Revival and the Creation of the Modern Bulgarian State
4. The Turnovo Constitution and the Reign of Prince Alexander, 1878-86
5. Stefan Stambolov, Prince Ferdinand, and the Quest for Recognition, 1887-96
6. Prince Ferdinand's Personal Rule, 1896-1912
7. Bulgaria at war, 1912-1918
8. Between Two Wars, 1919-1941
9. Bulgaria and the Second World War, 1941-4.
10. Social and Economic Factors, 1878-1944
11. The Communist Acquisition of Power, 1944-1948
12. The Communists in Power. i. The Rule of Terror, the Reign of V?lko Chervenkov, and the Rise of Todor Zhivkov, 1948-1965
13. The Communists in Power. ii. The Rule of Todor Zhivkov, 1965-1989
14. Post-Communist Bulgaria,1989-2005
15. The Minority and Demographic Questions
Epilogue: Bulgaria between East and West