The Molecular Basis of Life
James R. McKee and Trudy McKee
Biochemistry: The Molecular Basis of Life is an intermediate, one-semester text written for students on degree pathways in Chemistry, Biology, and other Health and Life Sciences. Designed for students who need a solid introduction to biochemistry, but are not specializing in the subject, the text focuses on essential biochemical principles that underpin the modern life sciences, and offers the most balanced coverage of chemistry and biology of any text on the market. The text equips students with a complete view of the living state, emphasizes problem solving, and applies biochemical principles to the fields of Health, Agriculture, Engineering, and Forensics, to show students the relevance of their learning. McKee and McKee is respected for its balance of biology and chemistry, consistently placing biochemical principles into the context of the physiology of the cell and biomedical applications.
New to this Edition:
- New and Updated Applications: Includes two new "Biochemistry in Perspective" essays on Alzheimer's disease and the Ebola virus, and a new "Biochemistry in the Lab" essay, which introduces the genome-editing tool CRISPR
- New, expanded, and updated coverage on current and relevant topics, including non-coding RNA and gene expression, carcinogenesis, diabetes, the atherosclerotic process, proteomics, protein analysis, and bioinformatics
- Expanded Problem-Solving Program: Offers hundreds of new end-of-chapter questions organized by section number and problem type (multiple-choice, fill-in-the-blank, short-answer, and critical thinking), and an all-new set of questions designed to help students preparing for the MCAT exam
- Brand-New Illustrations: With thirty-four new figures, the seventh edition incorporates a superior and expanded art program designed to help students develop a strong visual grasp of biochemical processes. Many figures have been enhanced for vivid, clear, and consistent presentation.
- Improvements to the general and organic chemistry primer
- New visual chapter summaries