Edited by Kerry Ressler, Daniel Pine, and Barbara Rothbaum
Table of Contents
Foreword: Anxiety Disorders, Big Science, and Big Data: The Next Generation of Science and Practice
Section 1: Overview of Anxiety and Related Illnesses
1. Anxiety and Related Disorders in DSM5.
2. Translational Perspectives, RDoC and Anxiety.
Section 2: Neurobiology and Neural Circuitry of Anxiety Disorders
3. Neurobiology and Neuroimaging of Fear and Anxiety Circuitry.
4. The Genetics of Anxiety Disorders.
Section 3: Development of Fear, Fear Pathways, and Anxiety Disorders in Children and Adolescents
5. Developmental Biology related to Emotion and Anxiety.
6. Development of Fear and its Inhibition
7. Involving the Family in Treatment.
8. Treating the College-age Patient.
Section 4: Posttraumatic Stress and the Neurobiology of Trauma
9. PTSD and the Biology of the Stress Response.
10. Clinical Aspects of Trauma-related Anxiety and PTSD.
Section 6: Obsessive Compulsive and Disorders of Cortical-Striatal Processing
11. Dissecting OCD Circuits: From Animal Models to Targeted Treatments.
12. Clinical aspects of Obsessive Compulsive Disorder.
Section 7: Phobias, Fears, and Panic
13. The Etiology of Fear and Anxiety: The Role of Environmental Exposures.
14. Clinical Aspects of Social Anxiety Disorder and Specific Phobias.
15. Clinical aspects of Panic disorder.
Section 8: Intersection of Medical and Anxiety Disorders
16. Fear, Anxiety, Avoidance, and Chronic Pain.
17. Detection and Treatment of Anxiety Disorders in Primary Care Settings.
18. Gastrointestinal Disorders, Irritable Bowel Syndrome, and Anxiety.
19. Anxiety Disorders and Cardiovascular Illness.
Section 9: Intersection of Anxiety with Mood and Substance Disorders
20. Substance abuse and Comorbidity with Anxiety.
21. Comorbidity of Anxiety and Depression.
22. Generalized Anxiety Disorder.
23. Anxiety and Suicide.
Section 10: Cognitive and Exposure Based Treatments of Anxiety Disorders
24. Neural Circuitry Mechanisms of Fear Extinction.
25. Learning Theory and Cognitive Behavioral Therapy.
26. Pharmacological Mechanisms of Modulating Fear and Extinction.
Section 11: Neurotransmitter Pathways and Pharmacological Treatments of Anxiety Disorders
27. Stress, Anxiety, Depression and the Role of Glutamate Neurotransmission.
28. The Role of the Hypothalamic-Pituitary-Adrenal Axis in Anxiety Disorders.
29. Pharmacological Interventions for Adult Anxiety Disorders.
Section 12: New Technologies and Approaches to Treatment
30. Adherence to Psychotherapy and Pharmacotherapy for Anxiety Disorders.
31. Computer Tools as Novel Treatment for Depression and Anxiety.
32. Internet-Based Treatment for Anxiety, OCD, and Related Disorders.