Analytical and Cross-Cultural Studies in World Music
Edited by Michael Tenzer and John Roeder
Table of Contents
About the Companion Website
Introduction, John Roeder
Part I: Analytical Encounters with Music in Diverse Cultures
1. Surface and Deep Structure in the Tôgaku Ensemble of Japanese Court Music (Gagaku). Naoko Terauchi
2. Form, Counterpoint, and Meaning in a Fourteenth-Century French Courtly Song.
Eva Elizabeth Leach
3. Nuances of Continual Variation in the Brazilian Pagode Song "Sorriso Aberto ".
Jason Stanyek and Fabio Oliveira
4. Thelonious Monk's Harmony, Rhythm, and Pianism. Evan Ziporyn and Michael Tenzer
5. Dynamics of Melodic Discourse in Indian Music: Budhaditya Mukherjee's ?l?p in R?g P?riy?-Kaly?n. Richard Widdess
6. Timbre-and-Form: The BSC and the Boston Improvising Community, Lou Bunk
7. Rhythm and Folk Drumming (P'ungmul) as the Musical Embodiment of Communal Consciousness in South Korean Village Society. Nathan Hesselink
8. Strophic Form and Asymmetrical Repetition in Four American Indian Songs.
Victoria Lindsay Levine and Bruno Nettl
9. Musical Form and