Development or Jihad
Table of Contents
List of Figures
Foreword by Paul Collier
Part One: Sub-Saharan Africa: The End of Euphoria
1. The New Threats to Africa's Stability and Growth
2. Programmed Demographic Explosion in the Sahel?
3. Marginalization and Underemployment in Rural Africa
4. Will Africa Skip the Industrial Development Stage?
Part Two: Fragile States at the Eye of the Storm
5. What Causes Fragility in Certain States?
6. Weak Institutions Weaken Fragile States
7. The Ignored Fragility of Cote d'Ivoire and its Descent into Hell: 1980-2012
Part Three: Lessons the Sahel Can Draw from Afghanistan
8. Is the Sahel in the Process of Turning into a New Afghanistan?
9. Afghanistan-Lesson One: Security Cannot be Entrusted for Long to Foreign Forces
10. Afghanistan-Lesson Two: Aid Agencies Cannot be Left to Do as they Please
11. Afghanistan-Lesson Three: In fragile States, the Priority is to Build Modern, Efficient, Sovereign Institutions
Part Four: What Is to Be Done?
12. Applying the Lessons of the West's Failure in Afghanistan to the Sahel: Part 1
13. Applying the Lessons of the West's Failure in Afghanistan to the Sahel: Part 2
Epilogue: How the World Has Changed a Lot in Some Ways and Hardly At All In Others.