600,000 words ... 3.5 million quotations ... over 1000 years of English.
Features of the OED Online include:
- Our most up-to-date Oxford English Dictionary content, with new words, senses, pronunciations, and definitions added quarterly.
- The Historical Thesaurus of the OED, which lets you explore the evolution of concepts of senses over time.
- Time lines and categories to help you discover when words entered the English language by subject, region, or language of origin.
- Our sources section, which allows you to trace the roles particular writers played in shaping the language.
- A more advanced search option, including options to search by subject index, region, language of origin, register, and date of entry, as well as the ability to restrict results to an entry letter or range, a more flexible proximity search, and more full-text options when performing a Boolean search.
- Hundreds of pages of secondary content, including an OED Archives section, quarterly update release notes, and much more.