23 Problems in Systems Neuroscience
Edited by J. Leo van Hemmen and Terrence J. Sejnowski
Table of Contents
Preface J. Leo van Hemmen and Terrence J. Sejnowski
Section 1. How have brains evolved?
1. Shall we ever understand the fly's brain?, Gilles Laurent
2. Can we understand the action of brain in natural environments?, Hermann Wagner and Bernhard Gaese
3. Hemisphere dominance of brain function-which functions are lateralized and why?, Gunther Ehr
Section 2. How is the cerebral cortex organized?
4. What is the function of the thalamus?, S. Murray Sherman
5. What is a neuronal map, how does it arise, and what is it good for?, J. Leo van Hemmen
6. What is the role of top-down connections?, Jean Bullier
Section 3. How do neurons interact?
7. How fast is neuronal signal transmission?, Wulfram Gerstner
8. What is the origin and functional properties of irregular activity?, Dr. Carl van Vreeswi
9. Are single cortical neurons independent or are they obedient members of a huge orchestra?, Amiram Grinvald, Tal Kenet, Amos Arieli, and Misha Tsodyks
10. What is the other 85% of V1 doing?, Bruno A. Olshausen and David J. Field
Section 4. What can brains compute?
11. What is the formal computation in early vision?, Steven W. Zuck
12. Are neurons adapted for specific computations?, Catherine Carr, D. Soares, S. Parameshwaran, S. Kalluri, J. Simon, and T. Perney
13. How can neural systems compute in the time domain, Andreas V.M. Herz
14. How common are neural codes?, David McAlpine and Alan R. Palmer
15. How does the hearing system perform auditory scene analysis?, Georg Klump
16. How does our visual system achieve shift and size invariance?, Laurenz Wiskott
17. What is reflected in sensory neocortical activity: External stimuli or what the cortex does with them?, Henning Scheich, Frank W. Ohl, Holger Schulze, Andreas Hess, and Andre Brechmann
18. To what extent does perception depend upon action?, Giacomo Rizzolatti and Vittorio Gallese
19. What are the projective fields of cortical neurons?, Terrence J. Sejnowski
20. To what extent is the brain reconfigurable?, John Reynolds
21. Where are the switches on this thing?, Laurence Abbott
22. Do qualia, metaphor, language, and abstract thought emerge from synesthesia, V.S. Ramachandran and Edward M. Hubbard
23. What are the neural correlates of consciousness?, Francis Crick and Christof Koch