PART 1: THE NATURE AND EXTENT OF DELINQUENCY
- What is Delinquency and How Does It Differ from Adult Crime?
- How is Delinquency Measured?
- How Much Delinquency is There and is Delinquency Rising?
- Who is Most Likely to Engage in Delinquency?
PART 2: THE CAUSES OF DELINQUENCY: THEORIES
- What is a Theory and How Do We Test Theories?
- Strain Theory: Does Strain or Stress Cause Delinquency?
- Social Learning Theory: Do Individuals Learn to be Delinquent from Others?
- Control Theory: Do Weak Controls Result in Delinquency?
- Labeling Theory: Does the Reaction to Delinquency Lead to Further Delinquency?
- The Life Course: How Do We Explain Different Patterns of Offending over the Course of a Lifetime?
- Is Delinquency More Likely in Certain Types of Situations?
- Group Differences in Delinquency: How Can We Explain Group Differences?
PART 3: THE CAUSES OF DELINQUENCY: RESEARCH
- Individual Traits: What Impact do Individual Traits Have on Delinquency?
- The Family: What Impact Does the Family Have on Delinquency?
- The School: What Impact Does the School Have on Delinquency?
- Delinquent Peers and Gangs: What Impact Do Delinquent Peer Groups and Gangs Have on Delinquency?
- Other Social Influences: What Effects Do Religion, Work, the Mass Media, Drugs, and Guns Have on Delinquency?
- Pulling It All Together: Is It Possible to Construct a General Theory of Delinquency?
PART 4: THE CONTROL AND PREVENTION OF DELINQUENCY
- Policies and Programs: How Is It Determined if a Policy or Program Is Effective in Controlling or Preventing Delinquency
- The Police: What Do the Police Do to Control Delinquency?
- Juvenile Court and Corrections: What Do the Juvenile Court and Juvenile Correctional Agencies Do to Control Delinquency?
- The Juvenile Justice System: Does the Juvenile Justice System Discriminate Against Certain Groups in Its Efforts to Control Delinquency?
- The Strategies of Deterrence and Incapacitation: Is It Possible to Control Delinquency by Punishing More Offenders and Punishing Them More Severely?
- The Strategies of Prevention and Rehabilitation: Is It Possible to Prevent Delinquency and to Rehabilitate Delinquents?
- What Should We Do to Reduce Delinquency?