- Adds only one new element per chapter and incorporates components from previous chapters into examples and exercises, continuously reinforcing learned skills
- Integrates a rich variety of well-paced, graduated exercises for classroom study and individual practice outside of class
- Includes an abundance of rhythmic exercises, eliminating the need for a separate rhythm text
- Encourages students to participate actively (sing, chant, write, improvise) in the practice of each concept
- Offers instructors great flexibility in that they can use the tonal and reading systems they prefer; the appendixes provide a brief overview of each system
NEW TO THIS EDITION
- Expanded material in Part II: Melodic Reading presents and reinforces more advanced concepts such as modulation, modal borrowing, and focus on the Neapolitan chord.
- New exercises for C clefs, secondary triads, improvisation, and duets further enhance aural and reading skills.
- Additional ensemble examples and examples from the standard repertoire introduce students to a wider variety of musical styles.
- Redesigned for improved readability, the text provides clearer headings and larger musical examples throughout.
- The enhanced in-text CD offers practice in the rhythm and tonal patterns introduced in the book.