Davis & Pecar: Quantitative Methods for Decision Making using Excel
Take a look at the general revision tips below and then click the chapter links to see tips on what to revise for each individual chapter.
- Be patient and work slowly and methodically, especially in the early stages when progress may be slow.
- Do not omit or 'jump around' between chapters; each chapter builds upon knowledge and skills previously gained. You may also find that the Excel applications that you develop require earlier ones in order to work.
- Try not to compare your progress with others too much. Fastest is not always best!
- Don't try to achieve too much in one session. Time for rest and reflection is important.
- Mistakes are part of learning. Do not worry about them. The more you repeat something, the fewer mistakes you will make.
- Make time to complete the exercises, especially if you are learning on your own. They are your best guide to your progress.
- The Visual Walkthroughs have been developed to explore using Excel to solve a particular statistical problem. If you are not sure about the Excel solution then use these videos as a reminder.
- Chapter 01
Refresher course in key numerical skills
- Chapter 02
Descriptive statistics and basic survey processing
- Chapter 03
Fundamentals of statistical decision making
- Chapter 04
Prediction and forecasting
- Chapter 05
- Chapter 06
Inventory and stock control
- Chapter 07
Statistical quality control
- Chapter 08
Project planning and control
- Chapter 09
Decision making in business
- Chapter 10
Decision making in finance
- Chapter 11
Monte Carlo simulation using Excel