- Prelim pages
- Final file checklist
- Final file submission
Carefully consider the following instructions before deciding whether or not it is suitable for you to prepare and submit print-ready files.
Tip! If for any reason you do not feel able to provide print-ready files then OUP can send your files to a typesetter to implement the final preparation stages.
- All preparation must be in conjunction with our Instructions for Authors.
- You must follow the text design specification, LaTeX template, or series style provided by your OUP Editor, paying particular attention to:
- page size
- crop size
- heading style
- font style
- Use Postscript Type 1 fonts only.
- Submit sample pages to your OUP Editor prior to submission to check layout and set-up.
Tip! Some fonts, like TrueType and Adobe 3, cause problems in outputting. Use postscript fonts and contact your OUP Production Editor if you have any concerns.
- Supply a list of all fonts used in text and artwork.
- Submit all final material in PDF format.
- Ensure that all fonts and images are embedded.
- Check the resolution of all artwork and complete the OUP Artwork Log. All artwork resolutions must adhere to the Artwork instructions
- The first four pages of the prelims (so the title pages, series page (if appropriate), and the copyright page) will be typeset professionally by OUP and sent to you for your approval.
- The pages must be appended to the front of your files.
- Start your files at page v, as the first 4 pages will be the professionally typeset prelim pages.
- Your title will be sent to a copy-editor.
- Any suggested changes will be marked up either on-screen or on hard copy, and may be accompanied with an additional list of queries/corrections.
- You are responsible for implementing any requested changes.
Final file checklist
Check thoroughly that:
- The contents page matches exactly the wording and page numbering of the manuscript.
- The alignment and indentation of content entries is correct and there are no broken, badly hyphenated words.
- The following pages begin on a right-hand page with odd page numbers (insert blanks to achieve this if required):
- Chapter 1
- No text runs over the bottom or side margins and there is no superfluous white space, particularly around figures.
- Running headers are correct and do not run into the page numbers.
- Any blank pages that are required are present.
- Blank pages do not have running headers or page numbers visible.
- All fonts are embedded and headings are tagged (locked into the file) or they may not print (even if you can view them on-screen). Use the Adobe pre-flight tool that lists any unembedded fonts or send source files to OUP for this process to be done.
Then, send this revised file to your Production Editor for final checks.
Final file submission
When final files are requested by your Production Editor you must send:
- Final PDF files at 100% page size.
- All source files (.tex).
- Copies of all electronic image files named 1.1, 2.1., and so on; preferably line drawings as .eps and half tones as .tif.