New online contents, May 2016
Oxford Dictionary of National Biography
Edited by David Cannadine
Current version: May 2016
Preface to the online release, May 2016 | List of editors and staff
New from May 2016
93 lives of people who shaped British history, from the 14th to the 21st century.
9 new theme articles on historical groups, from the 16th to the 20th century.
> Full list of new lives
Corrections and additions to existing biographies
250 additions and amendments have been made within the dictionary's 72,000,000 words. Revisions include:
- corrections to known factual errors
- addition of new information (for example family members' life dates) to keep the Oxford DNB continuously up to date
Revised biographies are identified by a citation at the foot of the article screen:
- J. A. Smith, 'Brown, Jane (1900–1950)', Oxford Dictionary of National Biography, Oxford University Press, 2004; online edn, May 2016 [http://www.oxforddnb.com/view/article/123, accessed 26 June 2016]
Previous versions of amended biographies are also available online.
The Oxford DNB from May 2016
- 54,798 articles in which are told the life stories of 59,972 individuals
- 6660 entries on women: that is 11 per cent of all lives and 28 per cent of first-time entrants to the dictionary across all periods
- 11,440 subjects with a portrait image
- 14,199 contributors (including contributors to the first DNB where they remain as signatories of revised entries)
- 536 Theme articles (reference lists, groups and feature essays)
OXFORD DICTIONARY OF NATIONAL BIOGRAPHY (ONLINE EDITION)
ISSN 1747-1001 ISBN 0-19-861412-8
> Oxford DNB home page
> Subscribers' home page
> What's new?