- About Oxford Language Dictionaries Online
- What's New
- Guided Tour
- Free Trials
- How to Subscribe
- Subscriber Services
- Contact Us
- Word of the Day
- Oxford Languages Tracker
- More about Oxford Dictionaries
About Oxford Language Dictionaries Online
What is OLDO?
"The most exciting electronic language dictionary service since the debut of the online Oxford English Dictionary" - CHOICE magazine
Winner of the 2009 Information Services Group (ISG) Besterman/McColvin Awards for outstanding works of electronic resource and E-books available and relevant to the library and information sector in the UK
The innovative Oxford Language Dictionaries Online site offers essential language resources never before available online: fully searchable, completely comprehensive bilingual dictionaries, and unique study materials that provide extra help with learning and using an expanding range of languages.
What can you do with Oxford Language Dictionaries Online?
- Search Oxford's authoritative bilingual dictionaries to get accurate, up-to-date translations you can rely on
- Choose the right word or phrase using contextual clues and examples
- Listen to pronunciation to hear how words sound
- Use quick search box on every page to find translations fast
- Use advanced search options to search the full text of the dictionary, or restrict a search to specific parts of speech, subject area, or language register, and perform Boolean searches
- Browse the dictionary using alphabetical entry lists
- Find a list of other entries that have your search term somewhere in them
- Click from any word in an entry to look up that word in the dictionary
- Get click-through explanations of phonetic symbols and mouse-over explanations of parts of speech
- Insert accented characters (or letters from a different alphabet) using a handy virtual keyboard
- Insert Chinese characters using a helpful pop-up Radical and Character Index
- If you can't find an exact match, the "Did you mean" feature can help you find the entry you're looking for
- Print, email, cite, or link all entries
- Find a multitude of language learning and usage tools and resources
- Get access to hundreds of correspondence templates including sample letters, emails, and CVs and résumés to provide practical help with writing
- And much more
Take the tour
Available language pairs
Currently featuring over 670,000 words, phrases, and translations from the Oxford Chinese Dictionary, plus tools and resources
Buy the print version of the Oxford Chinese Dictionary
Currently featuring over 360,000 words and phrases and over 550,000 translations from the Oxford-Hachette French Dictionary (Fourth edition), plus tools and resources
Buy the print version of the Oxford-Hachette French Dictionary
Currently featuring over 320,000 words and phrases and over 520,000 translations from the Oxford German Dictionary (Third edition), plus tools and resources
Buy the print version of the Oxford German Dictionary
Currently featuring over 300,000 words and phrases and over 450,000 translations from the Oxford-Paravia Italian Dictionary (Third edition), plus tools and resources
Buy the print version of the Oxford-Paravia Italian Dictionary
Currently featuring over 500,000 words, phrases, and translations from the Oxford Russian Dictionary (Fourth edition), plus tools and resources
Buy the print version of the Oxford Russian Dictionary
Currently featuring over 300,000 words and phrases and 500,000 translations from the Oxford Spanish Dictionary (Fourth edition), plus tools and resources. This module is not available for individual subscription – explore our Spanish language resources here.
Buy the print version of the Oxford Spanish Dictionary
Check our What's new section to find out about new languages being added to Oxford Language Dictionaries Online, and new features and updates for subscribers.
OLDO subscribers have access to a vast range of materials that offer authoritative support for learners, students, and language users at every level. Subscriber-only materials include hundreds of downloadable letters, grammar notes, verb tables, cultural information, and much more.
Subscribers can browse tools and resources for each language pair from every page in OLDO, or (for relevant entries) click on "More on this word" to link directly to specific notes on that entry.FREE tools and resources
Many free tools and resources are available on OLDO for non-subscribers, including:
- Helpful advice on writing and applying for jobs
- Interactive exercises
- Sample letters, emails, and CVs/résumés
- Downloadable kits to help teach and learn essential dictionary skills
Find free resources in...
The OxfordWords blog has daily posts about language in use, in translation and much more. Read Keep your friends close, and your false friends even closer to learn what wily words to look out for whose similarity to English could lull you into a false sense of security, but whose actual meanings are completely different to what you expect.
Contact us with suggestions, comments, and queries