Trends, Schools, and History
Leo S. Klejn
Table of Contents
From the author
List of Illustrations
Part I: History and the Present
1. The 'Great Unknown'
2. The Stages of a Long Journey
3. Generations and Aspirations
4. A Spectrum of Trends
5. The Arena of Debate
Part II: Facets of a new science
6. Under the Sign of History
7. The archaeology of a Great Power: the complications of composition
8. Archaeology under the red flag
9. Childe and Soviet archaeology
10. Reading between Lines
Part III: Personalities in the system
11. Unbridled intellect and revolution: N. Ya. Marr
12. The red demon of archaeology: the saga of V. I. Ravdonikas
13. A Historian Armed with a Spade: A. V. Artsikhovsky
14. Prince of Soviet
Archaeology: B. A. Rybakov
15. The masters and their roles.
Conclusion: Retrospective and Perspective.
A. A. Formozov: On L. S. Klejn s book The Phenomenon of Soviet Archaeology and on the phenomenon itself.
L. S. Klejn: More on Soviet archaeology and Marxism: A professor s reply to a professor s son
List of abbreviations